she tells me, "worship in the bedroom"

Hawkins, Indiana
Winter, 1986

Christmas was going to look a little different this year. Ever since the summer of '86 ended, they'd been living in a whole other part of their hometown they had never seen before. They were officially living in a post-apocalyptic society, and by the time the government got involved, over half of the town's residents had deserted the place. There was a constant battle as to whether they should fight or fly, especially when they had been fighting for so many years now. Of course though, being witnesses to every major event that has happened in the small town, them, along with their children and the survivors of the attack on Vecna, meant that they were rather important figures in the world's efforts to find a way to stop this threat.

They were outmatched... every time... and that's because they only stalled the true motives of all the dark, supernatural forces that had begun to pop up around them. Now, though, there was a chance that none of them in the state of Indiana, or possibly on the face of the planet, would make it out of this alive if they couldn't find a way to destroy the Upside Down.

Nothing was certain anymore, and that became their new normal. They were truly living every day like they wouldn't make it another... as if they would die tomorrow.

El, Will, and Jonathan had already taken off for the day with the other "Goonies", as she liked to call their little group of friends. Snow in Hawkins was the most exciting and normal thing to happen since... well before they even had any knowledge of the other dimension. A fun day in a winter wonderland wasn't something either of them were going to deny their children, especially not now. This opportunity gave the kids, and even the young adults of the group, a chance to kick back and feel some sense of normalcy.

She still remembers the first time El saw those delicate, white flakes falling from the sky, and the bright, innocent smile plastered across her face due to witnessing such a scene. It was a moment that she wished she could've captured on film forever. Hell, even her poor baby boy damn-well deserved and needed something positive in the height of the darkness. Her son has been at the forefront of this nightmare for the greater part of his childhood.

Hopper was no where to be found when she woke up and made her coffee, so she knew he was at his usual spot in the rocking chair that was located on the front porch. Grabbing her mug, and with the soft clacking of her house slippers, she left the kitchen and headed towards the front door. Joyce carefully and quietly peered out the window to see Hopper exactly where she thought he'd be. He was wearing a pair of light-wash jeans that had grown a little snug since he first wore them after returning home from Russia, and a charcoal-colored, cotton t-shirt that was also fitted a bit more than usual.

It was all the homemade lasagna and breadsticks that Joyce put her heart and soul into making for him. She needed to make sure he had access to hot and fresh meals, and it was one of the only things keeping her from spiraling into thoughts that would do no one any good. The burden she placed upon herself became less heavy as she saw him filling out his clothes just a bit more with every passing day. This was another hopeful reminder that he was back with her, safe, and not being... fuck - she didn't even want to think about the trauma and damage that had been inflicted upon her lover.

Then, Joyce - while leaning against one side of the doorframe - reached over and knocked three times on the other side to catch his averted attention before opening the screen door with a small smile. When he heard the knocks and looked back, Joyce was standing there, wearing one of his forest green and navy flannels over some grey sweatpants. His smile spread wide - from cheek to cheek - at the sight of her before he ashed his cigarette and offered it to her...

but...

oh no.

That's when the scent of marijuana hit her like a punch in the face, and she inhaled it, greedily. Now, she was fully aware that he had rolled and started an 'exotic cheroot' for the day, and she almost couldn't contain her pure excitement. Divine highs with 'her man' were better than any other kick she could find. Goddamn, she loved him so much.