Chapter 11: Body shot I

~Keenan~

"Few more bottles," Kevin says to Logan, who takes another six pack out of the fridge and loads it into the ice cooler. "Dude, do we have enough snacks as is?"

"Who cares? As long as we give them something, they'll be fine."

They're throwing the first party of the season outside tonight and a few people have already shown up, despite it being way too early. Then again, the early guests are all girls, so the guys aren't exactly complaining.

"Hey, um...guys? I need your help with something," Stella says, beelining for us with a portable speaker in hand. She lifts it and asks, "who's gonna DJ?"

"DJ?" Logan scrunches his nose.

"We don't have a DJ?" Kevin asks.

Vincent arrives the kitchen with his arm around a blonde I recognise from the house across the lake, Vivian or something. She smiles and waves as soon as she sees me. To avoid looking like a total ass, I throw a two fingered wave over my shoulder as I return my gaze to Stella, who is dismissing Kevin's idea to just make a playlist and let it play randomly.

Brett and Wyatt join us both with empty bowls in hand. They head to the fridge to begin stacking snacks that Heather will definitely freak when she sees.

"Guys, do any of you want to DJ?" Stella asks them.

Brett shakes his head. "No, ma'am. I plan on getting wasted, if you don't mind."

"Same, sorry," Wyatt agrees with a chuckle. They head back outside so she turns to me.

"Keenan?"

"Nope." I shake my head. Chances are I'll also be drinking tonight, courtesy of Joey. I don't know what star I accidentally stepped on, but she's picking some kind of interest in me and I'd rather occupy myself with alcohol than stare at her all night and risk her noticing.

"Babe?" She asks Logan, who laughs and heads outside, leaving her question hanging.

"I'll do it," Kevin finally offers, relieving Stella of the last checklist item. She sighs and throws her arms around him in thank you. I notice Kevin suck in a breath, but don't watch it for too long because a hand claps my shoulder from behind.

"Hey, man." Vincent says.

"Yeah?"

He noisily drags out the barstool beside me and sets himself down as he speaks. "Look, about earlier, that wasn't anything, right?" He asks. I know he's referring to finding Joey and me at the lake. When I asked about her injury, I didn't expect her to present it in front of me in that manner, and I stupidly couldn't pass on an opportunity to hold her, so I know what it must've looked like to him.

"No."

Relief flashes on his face as he pats my shoulder. "Aight man, just checking." He gets up, sips his beer and looks over my head. "She's not really your type, anyway.

My mind flashes back to two seconds ago, when he literally had his arm around someone else. I also take the opportunity to remind myself that Vincent is not my business, so I keep my mouth shut and focus on the bowl of cereal in front of me.

"You'll get us some more of that dope, right?" He asks. "I told a couple of guys and they're stoked. Don't worry, we can throw the wraps in the sand and get the money covertly. They'll have no idea who they're buying from." He grins at his own idea.

Clever, but hell no after what happened not even a month ago. "I'm not doing that."

"Why the hell not?" He asks, his smile descending into a scowl.