chapter 1

Jazmine's POV

Me, Huey, and Riley are sitting outside of Granddad's house in the heat. A normal day in Woodcrest. I pull out my phone and play tetris and we're all just sitting.

Huey goes inside for a second and Riley looks at me "are you and Huey dating yet?" I shook my head "no silly! And what do you mean yet? Me and Huey are friends!"

Riley smiled "oh nothing. Just an innocent question. I just always thought you liked him.. you know man has no rizz and you have no rizz." I looked up at him all blushy "uh. No I'm good. He's not even convinced I don't have an afro. I swear it's just humidity I HAVE GOOD HAIR!" I lost my game in tetris and just sighed

"Okay.....anyways. What made you think that in the first place." He looked at me "just a thought." We sat in silence and I started humming some Rick Astley. I love Rick Astley..

Huey comes back outside and sits down "Granddad said we can only have two twin popsicles. Who's getting the whole popsicle.." Riley shrugged "Nigga, what're you trying to eat popsicles for? That's gay." Huey stared at him "you're very lucky we're blood related. It's. A. Popsicle."

I shook my head "I'm sure somebody we can share with will come along. It's a great way to make a friend. Maybe Cindy would want half-"

Huey and Riley stared at me. They don't like Cindy. At all. "MAN, FUCK CINDY" they both said and crossed their arms. Riley was pressed "No offense to ya lil friend but, if she comes over here she's not making it out alive. She been getting on my nerves lately.." Huey nodded in agreement "I don't fuck with her. She's not getting a popsicle."

I nodded and looked up "That girl might want a popsicle. She looks nice!" I pointed to the new girl walking down the street "I'm not friends with her yet, she must be new." Huey stared at me "She doesn't look like she'd take food from strangers.." I smiled "Well, we'll always be strangers if we don't introduce ourselves.." I got up and started running up to her.

She was this pretty brownskin girl, no taller than I am. She looked much cooler though and she had the biggest afro I ever saw. Bigger than Huey's.. even bigger than mines. It was littered with tons of different clips and such and it was all tied back with a bandanna.

Her hair looks so soft and curly, almost like wool but, Huey says I shouldn't use the world wool to describe black hair. For some reason.. I stopped listening when he said slavery.

But I digress, this girl was so pretty! Her makeup was flawless and her clothes looked super cool. She looked like a great new friend! I finally caught up to her and tapped her shoulder. She turned to me and took the headphone off of her ear.

"Yo.." was all she said. So I introduced myself "You must be new to Woodcrest! I'm Jazmine Dubois and I live next to the Freemans over there!" I pointed. "I was wondering if maybe you would like to join me, Huey, and Riley for popsicles. They're very cool, we've been living here together for like... hm... a long time!"

She paused her music "Well hey Jazmine, I'm Majesty-Ebony Nazia! Its such an ugly name, just call me Majesty." I shook my head "it's not ugly. Your last name is Pakistani I think?" She nodded "I'm mixed." I squealed "me too!! There's like- no other mixed people in this neighborhood. I'm glad to meet you. Come meet Huey and Riley. They'd like you, you seem nice."

We walked over and I smiled "Hey guys. This is our new friend Majesty-Ebony Nazia. But you can call her Majesty." Huey nodded "Nice to meet you." He stuck his hand out "Huey." She shook his hand. Huey's face softened. "Firm handshake. You can tell a lot about a person from their handshake." Majesty smiled "I agree. Nice eye contact, your posture is horrible though-" she let go of his hand. "I think we'll get along just fine."