To the Day You Left

Chuuya Nakahara didn't dream. And he could predict that was a night just like any other.

Leaning on the backseat of the car he sighed, looking at the streetlights and buildings passing by the window, not really seeing anything. He was tired. He hated dealing with that kind of manipulative people. They always reminded him of Dazai and thinking about him was the perfect way to ruin his mood.

As an executive, taking some complicated tasks, ordering people here and there was part of his routine, just like killing. Something he would do since the first year of his memories, from 11 years ago, but even these days it would still leave a weird, dirty and sour impression in his soul. If he could say he had one. Still, he was used to it, and was acquainted to the feeling as much as he was familiarized with the surroundings of the Port Mafia, exactly where the driver was heading to.

It was late at night and he just wanted to go home, clean himself, lay in bed and pass out in one of those usual dreamless nights till the next morning. But he received an urgent call from the boss and half curious, half irritated, he sighed again, jumping out of the car without saying a single word and entered the main building with the red lights illuminating the big letters that read "Mori Corporation".

Chuuya followed the well-known path to the top floor alone, not really thinking about what the boss would have so much urgency to talk to him. In fact, he wasn't thinking about anything at all. The only sounds that could be heard on the corridors apart from the guards opening the doors without questioning, as soon as they saw him, were his own steps and a low absentmindedly humming coming out of his mouth, in an attempt to control his frustration.

"Boss, I'm here" He said just as he passed the entrance door to Mori's office.

"Ah... Chuuya-kun" A husky voice replied. Mori was sitting behind the desk in the back of the room, resting his chin on one of his hands, expressionless. Something about him seemed off,  but Chuuya didn't notice. To be honest he didn't really care, and didn't have to. If anything personal was happening to Mori, it would not be his business, he wouldn't question, and didn't have the right to. "How was the mission?" The voice asked despite knowing the answer.

"Everything in order, according to the plan. They won't dare bother us again" A reply that summarized what was truly important.

"Very good. What about the remaining members?" Mori asked calmly and that was getting on Chuuya's nerves.

"We will probably see them starting an internal conflict for the new leader's position in the near future. I'm writing a complete report tomorrow" Chuuya took a few steps forward "Boss, what is it that you called me here for?" He didn't like to pressure Mori, but at this point he wasn't much interested in being polite. He didn't want to talk about that boring mission. He wanted to go home. He wanted to sleep, so he decided to cut it short.

Mori took his time analyzing Chuuya. The boy in front of him was like an open book, very sincere in his actions and words. And right now, he was clearly nervous, shifting his weight from one foot to another while waiting for a response.

"Oh, yes that" He said like pretending to remember, treating the topic as if it wasn't something that important, trying not to alarm the ginger. Or maybe he was just lying to himself. Despite having the habit of speaking through metaphors, Mori was a man of few words and for that, Chuuya and his thin patience were normally grateful. But facing that unexpected situation, what he heard next caught him off guard. "As his main partner, I figured it would be important to let you know promptly" Chuuya didn't finish processing the sentence when Mori concluded it "Dazai-kun left the Port Mafia"

"What?" The boy replied right away. Too fast in his opinion. "What?!" He asked again with wide eyes, as if he had finally digested the sentence.

Mori didn't reply. With his eyes fixed on Chuuya, he didn't even move. "That stupid Mackerel! What is he up to this time?" He asked more for himself, even though he was staring back the man sitting in front of him like a statue. Mori still didn't reply.