ONE 」WHO IS SHE?

THE SOUND of the hard back of my boots hitting the ground fills my head, so I start humming to get rid of the sound. A small thread is sticking out of my shirt, so I pull it out quickly, and drop it to the ground. I watch the small piece of string fall, swirling as a leaf would. I look at the spot where the thread was, trying to see if I got all of it. While doing so, I trip on the curb and stumble, catching myself on a lamppost before I fall. I steady my feet, and look up. Across the street I see a large building, with umbrellas on the gate. It looks like it could be haunted, but it also looks much too pristine to be.

I contemplate if I should go over there and look at it a bit more, because it is an incredibly nice house. I decide, "why not?" and start to walk over. The heels of my boots thump against the ground, as I walk. I walk across the street fast, as I see a car speeding down the road, and I walk faster across the street. Once I get to the other side of the street, I wet my lips and push open the gates. They are tall, almost menacing, but they have an umbrella on them, as well as the front doors. The gates open with a creak, and I look around to see if anyone is going to yell at me for going on their property.

No one does, so I carry on. I walk up the steps to the front door, made of glass with a wooden frame. The symbol on them is familiar to me for some reason, but I don't know why. I knock on the front door quickly, hoping someone answers. No one does. "Hello? Is anyone home?" I shout, leaning to see if I can get a better look through the glass, but no luck. No reply, and as I turn around, wanting to yell at my trust in my gut instinct. I hear a creak behind me, as the door opens. No one is there though, and I can't say it's the wind, because today there is no wind, the air is still.

I peek my head in, then knock on the door, my soft knuckles hitting the wood with force. I walk into the entryway to this large house, my boots now making almost a clicking sound against the tile floor. Still not wanting to intrude, I call out "Helloooo? Is anyone here?" No response, but I can hear some faint sounds. I look around the entryway, and spin in a circle to get the full view. In the middle of the room, there is a rug that has an ugly pattern on it. I look over in a corner and see a small side table with a vase of flowers.

The vase has the same umbrella design this whole house is equipped with, and the flowers are brown. I scrunch up my nose, knowing whoever lives here only cares about the exterior of the house. I start walking towards the vase, as it is pretty much the only thing on the room. I stop, frozen in place, as I hear voices. I can't tell what they are saying at all, their voices are quieted by some walls.

I don't breathe for a moment, because now would be a bad time to be seen. I try to move close to the flowers, but my heels make noises and I hear one shushing the other. I freeze in place again. I try to think of what I could do, and as I do I slowly slip my shoes off. Dang it, I knew flats would be a better choice today. I hold my shoes in my hand, my pink socks standing out in this bland house.

Whoever was talking was approaching me, their voices quiet as I think of my options. I could leave, hide, or do my best to not be noticed. I pick walk into a random room, right across from where I was standing, because I think it's my best bet. I walk into the room quietly, realizing it's a kitchen. I want to look at the kitchen, but the voices are coming closer still. I hide behind the doorway, hoping they aren't coming out of the hallway that has the direct view of where I am standing.

"Well, I don't think she should be here." a male voice says, and I don't risk peeking out to see who they are. I hear someone sigh as they walk. "If you don't get out of your "oh I am the best one here" attitude, I'm kicking you out." a female voice retorts, her voice annoyed. Their voices taper off, and I wait until I can't hear them to come out of my hiding spot. I slide out of my spot, and finally get a good look at the kitchen.