Chapter 6

In retrospect, Sunghoon knew this would happen. Deep down, and by Heeseung’s words, he knew they’d have to share a room and possibly a bed. He knew and he had multiple nights to get used to the idea and mentally prepare himself. He was still not prepared for it when Heeseung’s mother told them about it in an almost mocking tone. 

They met with Heeseung’s mother, a rather tall omega, first at the station and she drove them to the hotel they’d be staying at. It was a short drive, didn’t allow for much more than simple introductions, Heeseung and Sunghoon made sure to be holding hands at all times. Yet, once they got to the hotel’s lobby and Heeseung’s mom handed them the key the real conversation started.

“I’m sure you won’t mind, but you’ll be sharing a bed,” she said, something in her tone annoyed Sunghoon, “I can ask for them to switch you if you want.”

Sunghoon was probably not thinking past how condescending she sounded, how tense Heeseung was, and how much he just wanted to prove her wrong when he said, “no, that’s perfect, thanks.”

“Oh,” she sounded taken aback, “wonderful then,” she smiled, and Sunghoon had never seen a smile as fake as hers. “You have to tell me everything about you two and why you’d never mentioned him before.” 

“T-that’s…” Heeseung was having a hard time speaking, Sunghoon moved closer to him, attempting to calm him down. “We can talk about it later.”

“Yes, of course,” she said, “Now go leave everything in your room, we’ll have dinner together with your father and brother later.”

Sunghoon decided he didn’t like her, he didn’t care if she was Heeseung’s mother, there was just something that didn’t sit right with him about her. He’d endure it for Heeseung, but had it been anyone else other than Heeseung’s mother and he knew the conversation would have gone way differently. Heeseung didn’t let go of his hand until they were inside their room, he relaxed once they were inside the privacy of their room. 

If he could, Sunghoon would hold Heeseung until all the stress he was under disappeared. But he couldn’t, not the way he wanted, not without it being weird. So he swallowed down every words he wanted to say and moved to take his suit out of his bag before it got too wrinkled. He hung it up and made sure Heeseung did the same. Sunghoon didn’t take much time to look around the room, he knew what he needed to know. There was one bed, big enough that he though it wouldn’t be that weird for them, and one bathroom, where Heeseung was at the moment. 

He was dreading the dinner with Heeseung’s family, the encounter with his mother was more than enough. His only hope for it not being terrible was that maybe it was just her and Heeseung’s brother and father would be easier to deal with.

As soon as they sat down facing Heeseung’s parents he knew his hopes were useless. Being under the judging stare of Heeseung’s father, a stoic looking alpha, he realised it would be a really long dinner. Heeseung’s brother sat at next to Heeseung at one of the table’s ends. He didn’t seem particularly interested in Sunghoon, or really, he seemed like he didn’t care about the dinner at all.

“So, Heeseung, why don’t you tell us how you two met while we wait for our food?” His mother asked, faking a sweet tone.

“Uh, our roommates are dating…” Heeseung murmured, uncomfortable under his mother’s pressure. 

“And that’s it?” His father scoffed.

“Yes?” His mother sighed.

“I expected a longer story if you were going to fake it…”

“Excuse me?” Sunghoon couldn’t stop himself, he wasn’t usually confrontational, but for some reason he couldn’t let them talk like that.

“Oh, don’t worry dear, we don’t blame you,” Heeseung’s mother tried to reassure him, “he should have known better than getting someone like you to fake a relationship with.”