Chapter Twenty-Six - Cubs

Boredom. I crave a hunt, but I'm stuck in this hospital room. My brothers come and go, bringing me meat and peanut butter which they just discovered and eat a jarful at a time. My father and Rick stay with me, rarely leaving. Rarely talking. It's so uncomfortable.

Running my hand over my now clearly showing belly, I glance at Father from over my phone. I make it look like I'm reading, but I keep going into the police records to check on things. Mostly, I look for signs of Dumpty slinking around.

Redding enters the room with a basket full of blueberry muffins. Both men lift their heads and sniff.

I growl at them. "My blueberries."

Redding freezes as her wide eyes snap between the three of us. "Um... too many wolves..."

"Father, Rick, leave."

Rick whines as he gives me those stupid puppy eyes to try to convince me to let him stay and eat a muffin.

"Wolfrick," Father says gruffly, "That's a rather pathetic pose, especially for you."

"They're blueberries." Rick turns his gaze onto Redding.

"You're both freaking out Redding." I point to the door.

Father stands and grabs Rick by the sleeve of his leather jacket. "Let's go."

Redding slides along the wall while watching them both leave. Once the door shuts, she darts to me, keeping an eye on the door. "Wolves really did survive in the old world."

"A few." I pluck a muffin from her basket.

"I'm not sure how I feel about that." She moves to stand with my bed between her and the door. "You look pregnant now."

"Yeah, I'm due any day." I bite into the muffin. Pure bliss.

She sinks onto the chair, still watching the door. "Mayor Gold has asked a few people if we want to return to the old world. He said he's only offering a few people at a time to go, and it's entirely our choice."

I nod. "It seems my father negotiated a deal with him, which is generous since wolves have to bleed to open the portal."

"I never knew." She frowns as she looks at me. "I'm not sure if many people knew. It explains the call for the great "extermination.'"

I shudder at the thought. "So, you were offered the chance to return?"

She gives a slow nod. "I don't know if I want to go back. I have so many horrible memories there. Life here isn't perfect, but I've built a decent one for myself."

"Well, you do what's best for you." I give her hand a squeeze.

"I will." She gives me a soft smile. "What about you? Where will you go?"

"I haven't decided yet," I say with a sigh. "I've only ever known this world, but the cubs would be safer and can be raised in their truest form there."

"It sounds like you're leaning toward going." She pats my hand. "I'd hate to see you go, but I'm sure you could come back whenever you like."

"I'm sure I could." I stare at my belly. "My father says I have a place in the palace. Rick can be reinstated as the general, and I'll be able to do whatever I like, even law enforcement. I just feel like it's all too good to be true."

"After the abuse you suffered, that's an understandable feeling." She places her hand over mine on my belly. "You've been given a chance to be happy. Not all of us get that second chance."

"Oh, Redding." I look into her sad eyes. "All of this scandal with Dumpty must be tearing you apart."

She blinks, then her brows crease. "What scandal with Dumpty?"