PROLOGUE

EMILY - 5 YEARS BEFORE

Some day's are easier then others, but if I thought that at 18 I would be loosing a parent and not being able to do anything about it, broke me. i was stood at the side of my fathers hospital bed, my hand griped around his, watching him lying there peaceful, the most peaceful i have seen him in months. Deep down my heart was breaking, the fact that it was only ever me and my dad and now he was leaving me as well, but i didn't once let him see the pain i was feeling inside. My mam left me when i was little and i never got to know any of my other family but these last few months of my dad finding out he had cancer, going through his treatment and now on his last moments, made me want to have family by my side. I snapped out of my daydream when the nurse entered the room.

"hi hunny, everything okay?"

i felt a smile rise upon my face, Kelly was my dads nurse and my family. She's been there since the start and some how became my family in the process. she helped me through school and even helped me apply for university next year to do nursing.

"yeah, i think it's time though"

"Oh Hunny, he will keep fighting you for you"

she comes over and bring me in for a hug, which comforts me. water fill my eyes but not one tear falls down.

"Kelly, it's time he's finally peaceful and i've come to terms with it. i just don't want him to drag it on for weeks, its time"

she nods knowing that she can't talk me out of it. We sit for the rest of the night, my hand interlocked with my dad. After 6 more hours of sitting there. Kelly finally gives me the look as if to say i think you need to say your final goodbye and i do just that. Kelly stays be myside and before i know it, my father was gone and i was now left on my own. And that was the time my first tear appeared.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

3 YEARS LATER.

I'm stood in the long line of people, waiting for their names to be called out one by one. Some part of me is sad and annoyed that my dad isn't here to see this but the feeling leaves when i see Kelly sat in the front row watching me as my name is called out and i make my way on stay. we exchange smiles as i shake someone important hand and get passed a certificate I've waited 3 years to get. once i take a photo and make my way off stage i run over to Kelly giving her the biggest hug.

she pulls me in and pull's me closer. "He would be so proud today, i know he's not here in person but he's here in spirt and he's the proudest he's ever been of you" her hand squeezes mine as i walk over to my seat for the wrap up of the event. i grab my hat off my head ready for the moment.

"okay class, you have been amazing these last 3 years but today is the day, so go and adventure, do what you love and most of all go and make a difference. you have now officially Graduated."

Me and my friends are the first to throw our caps in the air and i run over to Kelly.

"if it wasn't for you coming into my life that day, i wouldn't be standing here so thank you and thank you for becoming the only family i have. Thank you for aspiring me to become who i am today and helping me get here. i just hope i'm as good of a nurse as you were"

"and you will be trust me, but you don't have to ever thank me you are the daughter I've always dreamed of having"

i might not have my dad here today but i have Kelly and now this job that i feel will be the best decision i have ever made.