Chap 1

At a coffee shop.

'So, how did it feel to survive something so traumatic? Everyone else died, yet you lived. I'd, probably be shaking somewhere.' Jimmy asked.

'Numbing, at first. Though, I was more concerned at finding out why it happened then actually grieving. It didn't really start to settle until after their funerals. I often ask myself if there was anything else I could've done differently so at least 1 other person would've lived.' Jess replied.

'Ever get survivor's guilt? You know, wondering if you should've died with them, wondering why you lived yet they didn't, that sort of thing.'

'Sometimes. I still see a therapist from time to time. It's easier to deal with now because of time passing, but. I do still miss them. I'm sure you miss Breena a lot.'

'Yeah. I wanted to just shut down after she died, but I knew I couldn't because I still have my kids to raise. So, I went with the Grin and bear it method. And, I will admit, I'm guilty of often going to the bathroom to cry.' Jimmy confessed.

'I did that sometimes as well. I thought it was embarrassing, but it's just a normal part of the grieving process. Or so I was told.' Jess replied.

'Guess we have more in common then we thought.'

'That we do.' Then she smiled.