Pisces Girl

Pisces Girl

Not today, not yesterday, but long ago, a thing occurred. A baby girl was born on March 19, 1982, in Lowell, Massachusetts. That baby girl was me. My parents used a hand me down name after my father’s youngest sister, Susan Gail. Being a March baby would also make my zodiac sign a Pisces. Pisces are sensitive, impressionable, volatile, dreamers, full of compassion, profoundness, negligence, and dependence. Some of the Pisces characteristics resemble what type of person I am today. I am very impressionable, I have so many dreams, and I am full of compassion.

I belong to a family of four, my parents, my older brother, and me. My parents were both young when they started having children. I had a great childhood. My memories included sleep over’s with my cousins, family camping trips, and week long beach vacations in the summer. My parents have strong work ethic. They both had multiple siblings, and my grandparents could not afford to send them to college, which left them immense strive to over achieve. They both worked to provide my brother and me the essentials we needed. I do not remember any college discussion when I was a kid, and I lacked the importance of a successful future.

I attended Greater Lowell Technical High school, and at the age 15, the world became invisible all around me. Instead of hanging out with my friends, a particular boy stole my heart in sophomore year. He was my air and without him I could not breathe. We were inseparable until I turned 16. In shock, I learned I was pregnant and nervously prepared to be a mother. I never had any thought of giving the baby up for adoption or having an abortion. I was in love with this boy and we were going to be a family. I did not realize how naive I was when I was just a child myself. At 17, I had our first son, Christian on September 30, 1999. From the start, I wanted to be a good mom. At the time, Christian’s father wanted to still be a teenager. He did not want the responsibility of taking care of a baby, but I had no choice. Determined to finish high school for my son, I graduated Greater Lowell Technical High the year, 2000. 

   Christian put my life into perspective, and my biggest fear was letting him down. Working hard was all I knew. I pushed myself, and saved up enough to move out of my parent’s house. At 18, I was on my own.  It sounded like my parent’s life all over again and they were not happy. My father cheated on my mother, and then they separated when I was 20. Not having their support crushed me. They loved Christian, but my mom was depressed from the separation, and my father was too involved with his mistress to pay any attention to my life.

This pattern had to be broken, I wanted something more. As a caregiver to my child, I had to put my life on hold. Pisces are dreamers and my dreams would have to wait. Finding my purpose in life would have to remain a mystery. In the meantime, Christian’s father wanted to work things out, and I wanted my family back together. We decided to move to a better apartment with a yard to raise our son and work on being a family. It was very important to me that my son had structure. Christian’s father wanted to do the right thing, and asked me to marry him. He then became my fiancé.

 Independently determined to better my life, I went to Medical Assisting School at the age of 23. I successfully completed the program and got a Medical Assistant Certificate. Immediately after the program, I got a job at an Internal medicine department. Internal Medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Being a Medical Assistant was a start to my road to success, but also helped me realize I wanted to achieve even more. In this time of growth, my family was expanding and I had my second son, Chance. I did not want Christian to be an only child. I was 26 and had two beautiful boys. I was crazy about them.  Now, I knew more than ever, I needed to work even harder and set goals so my family would have a good foundation.

Now, we were a family of four, my fiancé, my two boys, and me. I was not going to settle being ordinary, but wanted to be extraordinary. My faith started getting stronger and I realized everyone has a purpose in life. It is whoever has the ability to step from the known to the unknown to find out what it is. Being in the medical field, my fascination grew towards my health and keeping fit. I wanted to expand my knowledge on taking care of the only thing you get one of, your life. A big interest of mine was running, but I never had the motivation to start. A few of my closest friends are runners and my thought was I am not athletic enough. After training and dedication I am now running short distances on a regular basis. Running to me is like going to the unknown. The starting point of all achievement is desire. If you just put your mind to it, anything is possible. 

Lastly, I wanted to have the knowledge for health and dreamed of becoming a registered nurse. I had the motivation and enrolled at Middlesex Community College at the age of 29. Nothing is stopping me to achieve my wildest dreams. Showing my boys the importance of a solid future and striving for their goals will teach them fundamentals of success. I am still working on my dreams of becoming an R: N, and will never give up on my goals. I tell my boys that school is important, structure, and of course waiting on having a family. I do not regret the path I took because, at one time, it was everything I wanted. Now, I have to set the course of who I’m going to be and work on making my dreams come true.