Chapter 45

"Fuck

"Fuck."

When I get off the stage, I can barely breathe.

I take off the wires and my ear peace, striding down the hallways and tugging at my clothing.

The song with Ares on stage has me shaken up.

My clothing feels too sticky on my skin and I feel like I'm suffocating. The clicking of my heels on the ground echoes through the hallways.

My heavy breathing and heartbeat are loud in my ears. And my lips tingle from where he kissed me.

He merely brushed his lips over mine, and it nearly had me trembling on stage.

Pushing the doors open, I throw my head back and soak in the cold air from the evening.

The backstage alley is deserted, except for me. Our tour buses are here and so are the buses that carry our stage and the ones for the crew.

The SUVs are parked here and the whole area is heavily protected by large, metal fences. In the distance, I can hear the murmurs and talk of the fans.

Normally, I'd be in my dressing room by now, changing clothes and coming down from the high that being on stage causes.

But I needed the fresh air.

Turning my head, I spot an exit door around the corner. Without thinking, I make a move towards the door.

I don't know what my plan is, but I just need to get the fuck out of here.

But before I can go through with my plan, I'm being slammed against the brick wall of the building, and then I'm staring up into the blue eyes that haunt me whether I'm asleep or awake.

"And what the fuck do you think you're doing?" Ares asks, staring me down with a frown on his face. I clench my jaw.

"Getting some fresh air."

"You're already outside."

"I want to go on a walk."

"You can walk around here."

"You're an ass. Let me go. I need to think."

"About what?"

"What's it to you?"

"Beats me," he shrugs and pushes a loose strand of hair away from my face, the act so tender it has my heart fluttering. "You can think right here, without going outside the fences."

It's hard to think with you around.

The hand that stroked away a strand of hair, has moved down, to settle on my collarbone. His thumb is resting in the hollow of my neck, moving around the skin there.

The moonlight is casting its glow on us, highlighting Ares' sharp features and making him look like the villain wrapped up in darkness.

My heartbeat has started beating faster ever since he appeared, and if he can feel my pulse beneath his hand, he's not showing it.