Chapter 1: Tumbling Books

The sun was shining as you stepped out of your ebony carriage. Curious. You had almost forgotten what it felt like to bathe in its rays. In Obsidian, the sun was constantly hidden by thick grey clouds, as if the heavens themselves turned their bacn to the blood seeking nation. But here, it shone brightly above the turrets of the Rhodolitian palace in front of you. You closed your eyes as you let the sun's warmth caress your cheeks. Soon, you felt your fiancé's arm wrap protectively around your shoulder.

"Let us go", Gilbert said as he urged you towards the steps of the palace, "This is bound to be a very interesting visit"

"However do you mean?", you asked.

Gilbert smiled in response. He did not answer your question, a usual choice he made when it came to you. He waltzed through the palace gates as if it was his own and only then turned to extend a hand to you. A slender man with black hair came to welcome the two of you. He introduced himself as "Sariel", a "ridiculous name" as Gilbert had whispered to you while you were following him to the throne room.

"His majesty will receive you now", said Sariel

"We should take it as a great honour that his most trusted minister came to show us the way", Gilbert proclaimed with a smile. However, after all this time of knowing him, you could tell that this smile, however cheerful it seemed, was a mere pretence. The prince was indeed mocking the man, his sarcasm hidden under layers of eloquence, known only to him.

Two servants opened the door to the throne room. Gilbert kept you to his side as the two of you followed the velvet red carpet until you reached the king at the back of the room. His golden crown laid softly over his ginger hair, his tired eyes clearly knowing how much more it truly weigh.

"Your majesty", Gilbert made a theatrical bow as you curtseyed beside him. You caught a glimpse of his face. There was no trace of respect in his eyes. His cocky smile betrayed again, to you alone, his true declaration: <You are welcome I graced you with my visit>

"Prince Gilbert", the king said nonchalantly, "We're glad to receive you in Rhodolite and we hope the negotiations between our two nations will be fruitful"

"Of course your majesty, that's my hope as well", Gilbert lied again.

At that point, the king's eyes moved on to you. You felt them scan you from the hem of your slick black dress to the pearly headpiece you wore on your hair. You noticed them, and so did Gilbert.

"If your majesty will excuse us", he said gritting his teeth behind that smile, "we've had a long journey"

The king languidly raised his gaze. "As you wish", he raised his hand to one of the servants, "Your rooms are prepared"

"Your majesty must mean our room", Gilbert said, "I adore my lovely fiancee so much I could not possibly part with her"

The king did not answer. Under Gilbert's narrowed gaze he stood and disappeared to the hallway hidden by the curtains beside the throne. Gilbert hummed at the king's choice of response, his hand squeezing yours over his black leather glove. The servant that the king had gestured to came to greet you with a deep bow, his contorted face hidden by you both. Gilbert's hand moved to wrap around your waist, pulling you closer. He allowed the servant to take a small lead before following him out of the room with you. With the young man out of earshot now, the Obsidianite prince leaned closer to whisper to you, "Did you notice?"

You had no idea what he could be talking about. Did you notice how everything was so much sunnier and more beautiful than in Obsidian? Yes, you had. And you wished you could stay in a place like this. Did you notice the hunger that the king's eyes hid when they looked at you? Yes, you noticed that as well, and you felt glad to be the partner of someone like Gilbert who, even though horrible in the eyes of ethics, could keep you out of the hands of the man those eyes belonged to.