Chapter 11: All hell breaks loose

"Status report, Sirs!", the knight stood at attention in the Main tent.

"Speak", said Chevalier, his gaze focused on the map in front of him.

"Black Banners were spotted in the north forests. Jadeian troops are said to be among them"

"How many did you count?", said Licht.

"'tis a small group, sir, not over a thousand, we could easily crash them"

"My, that would be a very bad decision indeed", Clavis smiled from the chair he had sank in, "We'd be up for a lovely surprise if we followed them".

"Still, we cannot leave the northern towns to their mercy", Licht was already grabbing his sword, "I'll go"

"No you won't", said Chevalier. He traced the river that run on the map with his index finger. Clavis was correct. No matter how much of a fool he could be, he was always quite perceptive. This was a diversion, meant to draw them away or at least split their army in two. They were lucky Benitoite had remained neutral in the war, but Jade was still a tough foe to handle on top of Obsidian. One could say they did not stand a chance, but it would not be Chevalier, nor any of his brothers.

The northern forests were not so dense near Obsidian and Rhodolite as they were in Jade. The few Jadeian soldiers inside the Obsidianite army could not make up for Jade's true strength. Unless a part of their army was somewhere else, either meant to surround them once they got to the spot or taking its time crossing a more treacherous and hard-to-anticipate path to the kingdom. If Jade hid its soldiers near its border then such an attack would be possible, and they would be caught between the army and the river.

"Destroy the bridge and light the forest on fire", he said.

It was so close to the border that most of the trees were near death anyway, sharing in Obsidian's misfortunes and draught. They should be as flammable as they could ever be.

"But what about-"

There was one village within the forest, as Clavis was probably about to say. "If the enemy is there they either already fled or died", Chevalier responded. His brothers seemed reluctant, but his knight obeyed instantly.

Gilbert's ultimate goal was not simply conquering Rhodolite but Benitoite as well. Chevalier focused his gaze on the borderline between the Kingdom of Roses and the Empire of Death. Gilbert had to find a way to draw Benitoite in a way that he would be justified to destroy them. He could not use the same trick twice so whatever he did it would have to happen during this war.

"I'll be leaving", Clavis pushed back on the wooden pole he leaned on.

"Where are you going?", asked Licht.

Chevalier rolled his eyes. It was obvious like the sun in the morning sky that Clavis was once again being a humanitarian fool.

"To do something stupid, by his account", Clavis smiled at Licht as he pointed at their older brother with his eyes.

Chevalier let out a heavy breath. So utterly predictable.

"The ridge", the white tiger murmured to himself. His finger landed on a passage, lined by high gray cliffs, next to the forests where the enemy hid. Should a fire break out, the opposing army would most likely scatter backward. The forest was framed by tall mountains on Jade's side, full of the vibrant vegetation that characterized the country. Meaning the only escape amid such panic would be through that small passage, towards the banner obsidian.

"Come", Chevalier told Licht, who only responded with a look of confusion.

The brutal beast gathered his knights for what was going to be a slaughter. His steps marched strong; he was used to the weights he himself tied around his legs with his decisions. His duty was to Rhodolite; he could not spare his mercy to those who threatened it.