Chapter One

Aela

"If you go out dressed like that, Grandma will kill you." A small child's voice echoed softly in the cave. The owner of the voice sat cross-legged on a large, smooth stone a few feet off the ground, arms wrapped around herself anxiously.

"Oh please, Grandma can barely move, Edith." a young woman responded absently, pulling a hooded cloak over her head. She wrestled with the garment for a moment, clearly unfamiliar with the feeling of wearing the item. Once she'd adjusted it properly, she looked down at herself, arms stretched out to her sides, pushing herself up on the tips of her toes as she examined her simple attire.

"Grandma will kill you, Aela. She will smell the human stench of those clothes, and she'll spot you from a mile away and then she will kill you. I don't want to lose my only sister!" Edith's voice was beginning to raise in panic with each sentence, but Aela seemed un-bothered as she continued to examine herself, trying her best to ensure the simple villagers' garments were being worn properly.

"Does this look right? The cloak covers most of it, but it feels... odd. I feel as though I can barely move. No wonder she couldn't run away fast enough." Aela grunted, pulling at random spots of the clothing as though it would make a difference. Edith, still sitting firmly upon the rock, huffed irritably.

"Aela. Please don't do this. Burn the clothing as usual, help me drag her body back to Mother's Point, and forget this awful idea." Edith pleaded, large gray eyes brimming with tears. Aela finally stopped to look at her little sister, a small frown forming on her thin lips. She seemed to be in deep thought for a moment before sighing and stepping forward to touch her pointer and middle finger to Edith's forehead softly. Instinctively they both closed their eyes.

"I will be fine, Edith. Grandmother will never even know I left... We cannot live on scraps forever. You're growing thinner with each day. I will find a solution by nightfall, and I know it lies within The Village." Aela was whispering softly, and as she spoke a soft light emanated from the veins in her long arms, pulsating down to her fingertips and seemingly spreading into Edith's forehead.

Edith sighed softly with relief. Her skin, previously taut and pale, suddenly softened a bit, gaining a small amount of color. Her face seemed to relax, as though a great pain were being eased.

"If you keep doing that, you'll die." Edith whispered in response. But Aela merely smiled and pulled her hand away, her normally smooth, deeply tan skin looking older and paler than before. Her skin seemed to sag as though she had aged years in an instant, looking now almost paper-thin.

"Take the woman's body back to Mother's Point. Let the elders divide it up, and wait patiently for them to bring you your share. Then wait there for me. I will return by nightfall tomorrow." Aela tried to hide the weakness in her voice, straining to sound stern and confident. She did not want Edith to know just how frightened she truly felt. This was her last hope of finding a better life for her sister and herself, and if she failed tonight they would both be dead by moonrise.

Helio

The sound of flesh crackling over a fire would always bring peace to Helio's mind. But not today. The elders encircled her, each shouting over the other, impatient to be heard. Even the scent of burning flesh did not quiet them, as it easily did others, nor did the blackening body turning above the fire in front of them. Helio's mouth watered unconsciously, her eyes darting towards the fire restlessly. She did not care for the elder's shouting and began to grow impatient as they started closing in around her.

"Enough!" she hissed, leaping to her feet. She did not raise her voice, but all six elders flinched away from her as though she had struck each simultaneously.