Chapter III: Ambush on the Triboar Trail

'So who are we after? In this mob I mean.' Leonidas shouted over the thundering hooves of their horses as they split off from the Neverwinter Forest and onto the Triboar Trail.

'We don't know who's going to be with this wagon. We don't know how many people will be guarding it. Heck, we don't know what's going to be in the wagon itself. Hopefully payroll which we can burn. If it's stolen goods, we'll return them to their rightful place.' Ahote said.

'OR!' Tobias loudly interjected, 'we could keep some merchandise for ourselves.'

'It's not their material wealth I'm after, it's their blood.' Ahote said indifferently, convicted of his mission to put a stop to the Neverwinter Mob's activities. 'I trust both of you have a weapon?' Ahote questioned the duo.

'Several.' Tobias said, taking his left hand off the reigns and pulling the side of his cloak ajar to reveal several daggers and a shortsword at his hip.

'You think I could have one of those?' Leonidas asked.

'You must be joking!' Tobias exclaimed.

'I reckon one of those is mine from yesterday. There one in there with a sage handle?'

'That's right. Go on then. Catch.' Dangerously, Tobias pinched the tip of the blade and threw the knife handle-first to Leonidas. Leonidas thrusted his arm out and plucked the knife out of the air, returning it to the sheath on his hip.

The trio rode until nightfall to a fork in the road where Ahote had found out that the Neverwinter Mob usually passed through with their illicit and hijacked imported assets.

'Let's enter these bushes here, just off this fork in the road.' Ahote commanded before the other two did as he asked. Leonidas slowed his breathing as he peered through the dark green foliage at the frosty night sky.

'What are you an astrologer? Eyes on the road Leonidas.' Tobias hissed. 'Here they come!'

Sure enough, the dark night was interrupted by a warm, orange light of a convoy comprised of one lantern-encrusted wagon aided by several burly men on horseback. As they drew closer, those hardened faces made Leonidas uneasy; these guys looked like pros.

'There's four guards; too many for me to pick off by myself at one time. Here, take this.' Ahote shuffled as quietly as possible and handed Leonidas a bow.

'Oh no, I don't use these. Long story.'

'Well we ain't got time for long stories. Use it kid.' Tobias breathed.

'Why can't you use it?' Leonidas hissed.

'What are you, four years old? And besides, my job is different.' Tobias added.

Leonidas sighed, wiped the sweat from his brow, pulled up his mask and hood and took aim. He raised the bow at head height.

'Aim for the two riders taking up the rear. We can pick those guys off without the others noticing.' Said Ahote, aiming at the further away guard. 'You take the guard closest to us. On my now...now.'

Ahote effortlessly fired one clean arrow that soared through the air and went straight into the guards neck. His horses reared and yet his body stayed on. The horse then galloped off into the Neverwinter Forest, for all the other mobsters knew, it was the guards choice! A head poked out the side of the wagon and called out, 'where do ya think you're going you crazy fool! There'll be no paycheque in the mail for you this month! Ride on boys, let's get this stuff to Mr. Lombardi.'

'Leonidas, you didn't fire!' Ahote growled, furious. 'You could've blown this entire operation if the other guard had noticed! Just stay there, don't fire.' Ahote once again took aim and fired an arrow at the lone guard at the rear of the wagon. the arrow hit him in the head, and he fell backwards. Only, while his body fell from the saddle, his left leg was stuck in the stirrup, and now the horse was dragging his sprawled body through the dirt, indifferent about its rider just being killed! Leonidas looked around to see that Tobias had disappeared. However, upon inspecting the wagon, he spotted that Tobias was laying on the roof!