If I Fall [Dan Howell]

Avery Lester

July 2012

You know that moment when you hear great new's, and all you want to do is jump around and tell all your internet friends? Silently reminded yourself not to brag to much, but unwillingly you do. That's what I'm experiencing at the moment. My mother just informed me of the news, that I was offered to live with my older brother Phil. I'm going to get my English degree at Queen Mary University of London, and Phil offered to let me stay with him and his flatmate, Dan, until I graduated. Phil and I grew up together, constantly teasing each other, tying to ignore each other when friends were over. We're siblings, we're suppose to do that! As we got older, we grew closer. He was my shoulder to cry on when I broke up with my first boyfriend. He made me laugh when I just wanted to throw what ever I could find at that wanker at school who called me a slut. He threatened to beat up anyone who threatened my happiness. He was the perfect older brother. It wasn't until he moved out that my heart broke in two, I counted down until the days he got back for a visit.

Even thoughs don't last forever, a week tops and he's packed up the things he's brought and the only way I hear from him is through texting and calling. Hearing that I got to live with him was the best news I've ever gotten, with the exception of hearing my chicken pox had finally gone away when I got them from Phil when I was 11. That was bloody horrible. Phil told me he still feels horrible for giving them to me, mainly because his lasted a week, while I was sick for two and a half. Mum was in frantic mode, a mode you never want to see.

The minute after my mother told me about the situation, I hugged her and ran upstairs to call Phil. I had to make sure this wasn't some cruel joke Martin had planned. After scrolling through my phone's contacts, his name filled the screen and I clicked dial.

"Hey, Avery!" Phil's voice answered excitedly from the other line, "Hold on I'll be back in a minute" He added, it took me a minute to notice that he wasn't taking to me and that he was actually talking to someone else.

"Hey!" He said, after a minute of nothing.

"Hello, Philip! I have a question for you?" I asked, my legs going up and down with excitment.

"Yeah? What's wrong?" He questioned, worry growing in his voice.

"Nothing! Eveything's great! Everything would be greater if you would clarify something, though!" I affirmed.

"Yes...?" He replied, I could almost imagine him raising his eyebrow in confusion.

"Am I actually going to stay at your flat as I qo to Queen Mary's?" I rumored, unable to be able to hold it in for any longer.

"Yeah! Why? Did you think mum was playing some sort of cruel prank on you" He smirked, mockery hidden in his voice.

"Pssh, no! Even if she was joking I wouldn't care" I scoffed.

"Avery? I know that voice" He laughed, seeing through my lie in the first few seconds of it.

"Okay, I would have been gutted. Thank you for letting me stay by the way! I've got to go, see you in a week!" I said, standing up holding the phone on my shoulder so I could hear Phil's goodbye.

"See you later, Avery. Sooo excited!" He shouted into the reciever, followed by the click of the end call button. Perfect. Perfect. Most people don't feel this close to their older brother, but he's my rock and I'm his. We promised we'd always be there for each other no matter what, like every brother and sister should be.

"Avery!" Mum called, I walked over to the door, and stuck my head out.

"Yeah?!" I yelled back, waiting for her reply.