Chapter 1-

It was that day of the year again. The train rocked and the tea in Lily's hand slowly swayed back and forth. It was a cloudy day, the sky was painted an innocent mixture of gray and white. It threatened to pour rain on everyone's heads. Trees rooted themselves in the Earth as they stood firm and tall. The train rocked as if Lily was a baby in a carriage. The ride was smooth, and Lily enjoyed peering out at the picturesque, verdant nature. The train was Lily's preferred method of transportation. True, she had a driver's license and owned a car, but they were relatively new, and she had no patience. Lily chose a seat at the back of the train like she had done all the other times. The train did not reach Evergreen directly, no train or bus did; the train ride left Lily an approximate fifteen-minute walk.

As she sat, Lily's mind quickly became crowded with thoughts; she thought about too many things. Her memories and thoughts pushed each other as children offered candy. She thought about her mother and how she would have to go home for the break; three months and I have to return. Lily sipped her milk tea; it was in a black ceramic mug, one of the few, nostalgic things she took from home. The scene at the window eventually shifted from trees and grass to uneven pavement and jagged, ugly buildings. The sky, on the other hand, stayed constant, the clouds still managed to swallow the glowing ball and absorb its golden, brilliant rays.

Careful not to burn her tongue, Lily prudently sipped her tea, the sweet, milky drink had a creamy texture. She held the cup close, breathing every breath into it, all it took was another breath, and Lily found herself walking the remaining distance to Evergreen. The weather was chilly, and Lily's suitcase produced noises as its wheels rolled on the rough concrete. Slowly but surely, Lily reached the magnificent gates of her nightmare, yet beautiful dream; she inhaled deeply and started towards the main doors. As she walked, Lily was fixated on the grand building. One more year, one more, she thought. Lily straightened her back, rolled her shoulders, and strode confidently.

Evergreen was not built from bricks or stones; it was made of minds and hearts that ambitiously dreamt. Every vessel and soul at Evergreen, student or teacher, was passionate, determined, and competitive; it was The Elite Academy of Evergreen. Semper Fortis was the motto, red and white were the colors, and Evergreen's flag was white with the motto in bold, daring red. Prefects stood at the doors, greeting and welcoming the incoming pupils. A girl with short blonde hair in perfect waves, Hadley, stood at the door Lily entered. The two girls knew and severally disliked each other (hated is more accurate, thank you very much.) With her posture tall and shoulders still rolled back, Lily walked into the school without bothering to look at Hadley.

The walls of Evergreen had witnessed centuries' worth of history, as it was an old academy. The school was home to thousands of elegant carvings and prints; the floor was always kept polished and gleaming. All students headed to the assembly room; there was a small number of students, as only the talented were admitted. Everyone took their seats, and almost immediately, the room grew noiseless. A girl with dull features rose from her seat, stood at the front of the room, and cleared her throat, all eyes and ears turned and listened.

It was a tradition at Evergreen that when students returned from the summer vacation, winter holidays, or any other break, a nominated lady or sir would give a speech. The professors and the headmistress selected a pupil; the headmistress's vote always counted as two. Chelsy was speaking; she spoke of the excellence of Evergreen's pupils and scholars. She stressed the skill and talent presented ought to live and be preserved. "Genius, wisdom, and brilliance define this school. You all have a superior understanding of what I mean in comparison to those outside of the academy. We shall demonstrate and define excellence. We are excellence, and excellence is us." Chelsy's speech ended, and thunderous applause broke out. Despite awe being the predominant feeling in the room, sheer boredom was Lily's soul companion as she listened to Chelsy's speech. When the speech ended and the applause died off, the students were dismissed, and Lily sleepily walked to her room.