A fateful meeting

Yamaguchi pov

My mother had just called, apparently my father had gotten into an accident on his way to work and had a broken leg. He was currently ok and, in the hospital, but I went to go visit anyway. It's always nice to check up on him to make sure he's ok. I actually enjoy helping people it gives me a sense of joy that I can be of use.

I walk into the hospital and up to the reception. I stated my father's name, asking for his room number. "He's in room 215" that was what I heard. I thank her and leave off to the second floor and down a hall. Finally, I made it to 215. I slowly open the door and stand in the doorway. That was not my dad. I think back for a second "room 250-" She must have said 250 and I miss heard! Full of embarrassment I apologize and was about to walk out.

Before I walked out, I look up at the man in the hospital bed. He was pale and skinny. You could see how sad he was. The life taken from his eyes, only sorrow and depression showing through those dull golden-brown eyes. "I'll leave no-" I was interrupted.

"Please... wait. Could you stay, just for a few moments." I felt a little sympathetic, he looked so desperate. I agree and sit down next to him, already forgetting about my dad.

"Hey, I'm Yamaguchi." I introduce. He looked at me, perplexed.

"I'm Tsukishima. I might be a little weird, I haven't talked to someone besides my doctor in years. Sorry for making you stay, I guess I just wanted to make sure the outside world was still out there." He spoke freely, he got right to the point.

"Your parents don't visit?" I ask.

"No... they completely gave up on me. They told me that they won't bother with a dying child..." he explained.

What the heck! "How cruel! What kind of parent does that?" My frown deepened. It hurt me to think that someone's parents would do that to their son.

"They were nice until i got cancer. They slowly lost interest in me. When I was finally placed in the hospital full time and not allowed to come out, they left. They still pay the bills. I like to think that maybe they're trying to distance themselves to not get hurt when I actually do pass on." His voice trailed off; I could tell this was sensitive, but I guess he really needs to talk about this.

My eyes were soft, maybe a little watery. "That's not right..." I mumble quiet enough for him not to hear, "how long has it been?" I ask

Tsukishima sighed. He looked at his hands and started counting "6 years. I've been fighting it for six years."

"And you've been alone this long?" I ask. He nodded solemnly, that's when I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

Tsukishima pov

When the door opened, I was confused because usually my doctor doesn't come in for a while. It was a guy, he seemed to be around my age. I don't know what got into me when I asked him to stay but for some reason, he did. Why would he just stay for some random guy he didn't even know the name of?

As he talked, his soft sweet voice brought relief upon me. I'm not sure why but it was relaxing. That was until he asked how long I'd been there. My mind went flashing back to what my life was like, my happy times.

Flashback-

"Mom! Dad! Can we go get ice cream?" I cheerfully run up to my parents.

"Me too! Me too!" My brother joins.

"Not now, we're going to have dinner in an hour." Mom responded sternly. I frown and head back to my room to play with my dinosaur figures.

I make them fight and roar at each other with my older brother when my dad walked in. "Hey kids, shhhh, don't tell mom about this but we're going to get some ice cream." He whispered to us. We close our mouths tight to prevent our excited laughter and run out the house.