Chapter 1

Earlier, that morning

If there's one thing Hyacinth realized while she stood in front of the mirror, on the morning of her eighteenth birthday nonetheless, it is the cruel fact that she hadn't grown an inch since middle school.

She sighed. She carefully opened her jewelry box to take out her most prized possession. Wait, she could smell something burning. Her bacons! She left it for way too long!

Could her day get any more worse?

She already woke up a later than usual today because she spent the entire night marathoning that new show about bakers competing for a grand prize.

When she reached her kitchen, her mother is already there, transferring the charred meat that were once bacons into a plate.

"A-ah-ah, g-good morning, Mother!" she said.

Her Mother did not reply.

She sighed.

The breakfast table was a silent one, as it usually is. Her Mom didn't used to be like this. But ever since her Father...

She returned to her room. She took the jeweled necklace inside the box half-opened prior to the bacon incident earlier. Saying that it is expensive would be an understatement. It is a blue diamond necklace, crisply cut into the shape of her namesake - a hyacinth. She still remembers the day when her father bought it for her, and how it was the happiest day of her life. It was the best birthday present she ever had. 

"Father...", she muttered.

She remembers that day way too well. It was her 12th birthday. They were at the local mall. "What do you want as a gift?" her mother asked. Her smile was genuine back then. "I want to eat ice cream!" She pointed at the crowded ice cream stall which said "LIMITED EDITION" on its storefront. "You want ice cream... as your birthday present...?" her mother asked. She pouted. Her father laughed. "Well, why not?" They joined the long, long line, which, as she remembered, seemed like decades. It was also that time when she noticed a certain store - a jewelry shop. She nudged her father to take a look at it. It ended with them leaving her mother behind to line for them in order for them to get to the shop. 

There's something about the sparkly stones in display which took her undivided attention. The one which took her attention the most is blue gem necklace carved in a shape of a flower. "You have good eyes, don't you?" his father said. "This flower is named hyacinth." Hyacinth. She never actually saw hyacinths before. "I want this for my birthday!" she said, sparkles in her eyes. "What?!" her dad replied. 

Back outside, they met her mom, who handed them their ice cream. It was only a matter of time before she found out about her husband's recent worthwhile expenditure. "You what?!" she asked. "Well, why not? Hyacinth's all grown up now. And I just couldn't say no to her..." "This is not a toy! This is a necklace worth more than someone's yearly salary-" 

"Mother", Hyacinth said. Both her mother and father's attention are unto her now. "I'll take care of this necklace. I promise." She added, smiling: "I'll treasure this forever..."

Her mother never complained about it ever again. 

That was eight years ago. It seemed like they could afford everything back then. 

Hyacinth wore her necklace, as she always did ever since that day. 

"Father... I'm heading to school..", she said to a picture of her father in their living room. She never forgot to change the vased flowers around it every now and then. 

"Mother, I'm leaving first, okay?" She prepared to take off with her bike, when someone at the gate stopped her. 

It was their landlord. He was asking for rent, which was due today. "I-I'm sorry. We're making ends meet at the moment.", Hyacinth replied. Her eyes are on the ground. Then, the landlord noticed the necklace hanging on her neck. He suggested selling it to him, and with that, they wouldn't have to worry for rent for a while. "N-no, I can't. I'm sorry.", she replied. The landlord looked disappointed. "Well, whatever." He walked away. "Once a spoiled brat, always a spoiled brat, I guess. She couldn't even let go of her precious toy so that they could pay off their expenses.", Hyacinth heard the landlord mutter. She grasped her necklace. "W-wait...!" she said. The landlord stopped then turned back. "A-about... the neckla..." "Mr. Landlord, we'll pay you our rent this afternoon. We promise.", a voice behind her said. It was her mother's. "Well, you better.", he replied. He went on his way. 

"Didn't you say you'll never lose this necklace?" her mother asked. Hyacinth didn't know what to say. They haven't talked much in a long time. Thankfully, her mother broke the silence. "Have a safe trip." "I will!" she replied, as she started to ride her bike. "Hyacinth." her mother suddenly said, which almost made her trip. "Happy birthday."