6

Kaitlyn opened her eyes to find sun pouring in through her window. Through her window? Who's window? Kaitlyn stared at the unfamiliar wall, at the unfamiliar garden glimmering with water droplets in the light of the bright sun.

Then she remembered. Kaitlyn grimaced, a muscle tightening in her chest. She'd been dead, she'd killed herself, and Zeke had brought her back to life. Feeling hot, she went to remove her blanket before noticing the bright white feathers. No. Not a blanket.

Jacob was lying beside her, spooned up against her. His breaths were brushing through her hair. He was warm against her back, almost hot. She could feel his heart beating steadily. She felt a stab of guilt deep in her stomach. They shouldn't have brought her back. Why did they bring her back?

You're already mine, Kaitlyn. You just don't know it yet.

Kaitlyn swallowed. Her mouth was so dry her throat was aching. Slowly, she turned over and it was a surprising struggle. Her body felt heavy. Her arms were shaking. Jacob's great white wing lifted, allowing her movement. His hazel eyes were open and watching her, looking searchingly between hers.

'Feel better?' he said.

Kaitlyn blinked, then squinted. Her eyelids kept sticking together like she'd had the heaviest sleep of her life. 'What time is it?' she croaked.

'Not sure. Some time late afternoon probably.' He yawned, then stretched himself out.

'And you've been here this whole time?'

He gave her a sweet smile that made her heart beat faster. 'I needed the sleep too.' He touched her face. 'How are you, Kaitlyn?'

'Drowsy. Thirsty.'

Jacob pulled himself up and reached over to the side table to pour out a cup of water. Kaitlyn sat up with a groan. Her head was heavy. She felt sick. Like she'd slept way too much.

He gave her the cup and she drank it down, sputtering as she did.

'Slow down, Kaitlyn.'

Kaitlyn licked her lips. 'You teaching me how to drink now?' She coughed, then wiped her mouth as she handed the cup back. Her arm was shaking so hard it was difficult to keep the cup steady.

She leaned against his shoulder with a grimace. 'I feel so sick.' She closed her eyes and took a breath. 'I can barely move.'

She looked down at her blood-stained arms. She shivered as she recalled the cold, dank loneliness of the bathroom. Her little escapade in the shower was now officially the most horrifying moment of her life. Worse than the death of her parents. Worse than finding out she was Satan's vessel. Worse than Satan chasing her down his halls in monster form.

That coldness, that loneliness—it would never leave her. It would haunt her dreams forever. She turned her arms over and tried to hide them under the blankets—but Jacob wouldn't have it. Throwing the blankets off, he took her arms and turned them back over, stroking them, tracing his fingers over where those terrible gashes had been.

Kaitlyn struggled against her tears.

'What if we hadn't been able to bring you back?' Jacob said in a thick voice. 'What did you expect me to do without you?'

He pressed his fingers to her wrist, feeling her pulse.

'You would miss me but—but at least you'd be with God again. Besides,' she shrugged and gave a trembling smile, 'like you said, we would have met again in heaven.'

Jacob smoothed his thumb over her palm. 'We are going to leave this place.'

'I guessed as much. When?'