Chapter 1: Oblivion

If you are a good person, good things happen to you.

That's what Hikari used to believe. But being a good person actually means that you're a magnet for misfortune.

People take advantage of kindness. They're only nice to you because there's something they can get, and when there's nothing left to take, you're left as an empty husk, and no one will be there for you.

Hikari is not a good person...

"Goodbye Aunt Ai, I'll see you later..." She waved to one-off her aunts who was sweeping the leaves off of the stone pavement to their family's temple.

"Oh, is Hika-chan leaving already!?" Beamed another one of her aunts, poking her head out one of the windows.

"Wait! Make sure you have your lunch!" Cried another from a different window.

"And your coat! It's supposed to get cold later today!" Shouted another while 3 more of Hikari's aunts ran out to her.

"And your lucky pen!"

"Don't forget your scarf!"

"Oh, and your umbrella!"

Suddenly, just like that, 12 of Hikari's aunts rushed to her in a panicked frenzy. All wanted to wish her luck on her trek to school and make sure she had all she needed.

"Everyone..." she spoke up.

Her voice was just as dry and lifeless as the day she came to the temple a few weeks prior. They hung on to every word she said, hoping to get some sort of happy emotion from her.

Sighing, Hikari looked up at them, "Thank you, but that's not necessary..." Her expression remained neutral.

This caused her aunt's smiles to slightly fade. Upset that they couldn't get their niece to smile, they still kept theirs to cheer her up.

"Well..." Smiled one of them, the 3rd oldest, "have a great day at school Hikari..." she patted the young girl's head tenderly, with an all too familiar smile that almost brought Hikari to tears.

Quickly turning away, Hikari forced down the lump in her throat and spoke once more before she headed off, "I'll see you all later..."

Hikari is not a good person... At least, that's what she tried to tell herself. At Kunugigaoka Junior High School, you have to be ruthless. It's a dog-eat-dog school, only the smartest and strongest survive.

She fought tooth and nail to reach the top spot as A-Class's "ice queen". Her hard work paid off, she made it to A-Class as a regular person. Her family didn't come from money, it was just her and her mom. Getting a scholarship at the most prestigious middle school in the country, possibly even the world, and all through hard work and determination.

She even managed to get the attention of Asano. Being the top 2 students in the entire school, it was obvious for them to be the ultimate couple, and they were. They were inseparable; a cute little couple. They were happy together with their little friendly competition with each other.

At least, that's what Hikari thought.

This quarter, Hikari came 51st in the school ranking, even some E-class nobodies beat her out. It was completely embarrassing but Hikari paid no mind. She was on autopilot that whole month; shut off in her own little bubble.

The once bubbly and smiling queen had finally been knocked down a peg.

People gossiped, taunts were thrown, and A-Class's reputation was being tarnished.

She sat alone at lunch, something that had become more frequent lately, when they approached her. It had only been a few hours prior that her teacher announced that she would be going to E-Class the next day, but rumors had already been spread like wildfire.