~1

~Emilia Carters POV~

Okay, to be fair, has anyone ever really done what they said they were doing when they asked to leave class? No, exactly. My point proven.

Oh, yeah, let me fill you in. I'm Emilia, if you didn't gather that already, and here I am, at our falling apart public high school in our small town of Acton, Vermont. Where am I actually? Making my way across the school to the bathroom when I'm absolutely not supposed to be in physics. Mr. Knight loves me, it's okay.

"Maggs?" I said as I walked into the bathroom.

"Third stall" She yelled back.

And we can't forget Maggs. If you get me, you get Maggs, or Maggie North as everyone else knows her, my best friend since the fourth grade, and here we are now, Junior year. We've grown up together, what can I say?

"Hockey game Sunday afternoon, want to go?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm getting forced into going anyways" I said.

"What do you- never mind, question answered, can't believe I almost asked that" Maggs said. Yeah, obvious to anyone here but probably not so clear in this aspect. There's one other person that I've grown up with, Mac Lonergan, Mac's rock, my little brother.

Being in a town with a whopping 722 people like ours is, you stay in your circles and barely mix, but everyone knows everyone. Everyone tends to think that Mac and I are total opposites, our friendship has been under judgment since it first formed, same with my friendship with Macs brother, Joey. Despite all of that though I refuse to let Mac get rid of me, but he's the same, he's like the opposite of chickenpox, once you get him you never get rid of him.

"What time's the game?" I asked.

"I want to say 2:30" Maggs said.

"Okay, easy" I said.

"Alright, I've been out of class for almost 10 minutes, Hickory's going to kill me, I'll see you last period, love you" Maggs said before she walked out. I sat for a minute aimlessly scrolling through my phone before I decided to head back to class. Our school is essentially the shape of a goal post, and the only bathrooms are only the complete opposite side of the school from the class I'm in.

Welcome to Acton.

~Mac Lonergan's POV~

No one really stays in class all period, if you say you do, you're lying. Everyone does it, and if there's anything that can bring you more enjoyment then scaring the shit out of your friends for not being in class-

You know what, there's not, that's why we're here. I didn't plan for it to happen, but I'm not going to let the opportunity pass when I see Emilia in the halls to not scare the shit out of her. After catching up to her a little bit, I put my hands on her shoulders.

"What are you doing out of class?" I said.

"Holy fuck- Mac" She yelled.

"What? Honest question" I said.

"Oh my, I'm going to kill you one of these times Lonergan I swear, watch your back" She said.

"You've promised my death for years, I'm waiting patiently" I said.

Yeah, that one got me a death stare. (Pun intended)

"What class 'you in?" I asked.

"Knights" Emi said.

"Okay, I'll walk you, continue" I said.

"Okay, so is your game actually at 2:30 Sunday and if so, who are you playing?" She asked as we started walking.

"Yes to 2:30, and Assonet, you don't have to come to the game though, you can just stop by my house for pregame" I said.

"Oh...you know what, no. Like I've said for years, Lonergan, I live solely to make you and your brother spite my existence" Emi said.

"Trust me, I know, and I do," I said.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, you haven't returned me yet, so I keep pushing," she said.

"Maybe one day I'll bring you back to the shelter" I joked.

"I should make you walk home today for that" she said.

"You won't though" I said.

"You're right, but I'm close" she said before she ducked back into Knight's room. Only Emilia Carter.

Okay, so to answer your obvious question: What's the matter with Assonet? To make a long story short: Quite literally nothing. Assonet is just our schools' rival in hockey. Assonet and Acton have been hockey rivals forever.

The problem in this equation is my brother. The dumbass, yes. We both play hockey, our dad did, he fell in love with the sport, taught it to both of us (and Emi) and we all fell in love with it too.

Since my brother is a senior and has been playing since we were so young, he's one of the best on our team, meaning Assonet targets him, meaning everyone just praises him the whole game. This wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't a dickwad. Correction, royal dickwad*

But that's a story for another time, cause trust me, all we have is time, I swear it doesn't move in this town.