16.9

MONTEQUINTO

"Coming up on the signal, two miles," Ramsey says over the comms from Tej's back seat as Dom leads the group. "It's deep in the militarized zone of Montequinto. I hope everyone's ready."

"Ready? Y'all want to make jokes about me not making practical decisions? This is as prepared as it gets," Roman questions as he drives his heavily armored vehicle.

"We all see you, man. Nobody thinks you're compensating for anything," Tej tells him sarcastically, causing Charlotte to laugh.

"I'll take point," Letty says as she drives up beside Dom on her bike.

"Right now, we have a ten-minute window between patrols," Ramsey explains as she pulls up a screen showing Mr. Nobody's plane's location before using a different screen to look at where the patrols are. "Mr. Nobody's signal is close, but we've got to move quickly, guys. We do not want to cross paths with the military here." Charlotte and Tej share a worried look as they pull up to the plane wreckage. Tej, Dom, and Roman get out of their vehicles with guns at the ready. "It's inside."

"Cover us," Dom orders before he leads the way inside the plane with Ramsey following him.

Letty and Charlotte slowly follow behind them as they keeps their guns raised. Roman and Tej walk around the wreckage looking for any signs of life.

"The source of the SOS signal is coming from inside this thing," Ramsey says as her device starts beeping before she walks over to an touch screen keypad that is in the floor.

"Somebody wanted in," Dom says as he sees where someone had tried busting into the box. "Plane must have gone down before they could cut through." Tej walks into the plane.

"Or it was sent down on purpose to stop 'em," Letty suggests as she looks up at Dom.

"Yeah, well, their mistake was trying to cut into it," Ramsey says as she looks up at them from where she is kneeled by the keypad. "But just give me a minute. I can get in."

"Dom," Roman says quietly as he walks into the plane, causing Dom to look at him. "There's not a soul in sight. No sign of Mr. Nobody."

"Got it," Ramsey says after a device beeps before she opens the box to find a smaller box inside. Letty kneels down to help her open the second box.

"What the hell is this?" Letty asks as she pulls out half of a sphere shaped device.

"Whatever it is, Mr. Nobody wanted us to find it. How's that work..." Charlotte answers her before she is interrupted by gun fire.

"Go!" Dom orders as Charlotte covers Ramsey as they run to Tej's truck while Letty runs to her bike, putting the device under the seat while Dom, Tej, and Roman cover them.

Roman runs for his vehicle but ends up in front of two of the military vehicles, causing him to duck for cover. Dom runs to his car while Tej runs to his truck. Letty leads them away from the plane while Roman is left behind.

"Roman, where the hell are you?!" Tej asks as a military vehicle follows him before shooting at him. Tej turns as two military vehicles start heading towards him before Roman comes out of nowhere, taking out the vehicle behind Tej.

"Who's compensating now, Tej?!" Roman asks with a smirk as they are followed by several military vehicles with two helicopters joining the chase. As they are driving through the trees, Roman notices a sign. "Peligro minas. What does that mean?"

"Tej, how fast we got to go to clear 'em?" Dom asks over his walkie, causing Charlotte to look at Tej in alarm.

"Dom, please don't tell me you're thinking what I think you're thinking," Charlotte says as she shakes her head.

"Why? What does "peligro minas" mean?" Roman asks as he slightly starts to panic.

"Tej, how fast?" Dom asks again, causing Charlotte to realize that he is serious.

"I don't know, man," Tej says while shaking his head before trying to calculate it.

"Somebody answer me! What does "peligro minas" mean?" Roman demands as he really starts to panic.

"Peligro minas means danger, land mines!" Ramsey answers him in hopes to shut him up as she grabs her computer.

"What?!" Roman asks in shock.

"You just had to answer him," Charlotte says as she shakes her head. "Now he's really not going to shut up."

"How fast, Tej?" Dom asks once again.

"Assuming a 50-foot blast radius and a-a half a second trigger delay, I'd say about 80," Tej explains to him what he thinks will work.

"I can't! My speedometer only goes up to 70. What do I do?!" Roman asks as he looks at his speedometer before he starts to actually panic.

"You put your foot to that floor, and you pray," Tej answers him as Letty leads the way into the mine field.

Several of the military vehicles stop at the beginning of the mine field. A military vehicle is blown up right beside Tej, Charlotte, and Ramsey. Roman yells as a land mine blows up behind him.

"Get to that palm plantation, and then we're clear," Ramsey says as she points at the plantation before Tej changes gears to speed up.

Dom bumps into a military vehicle, causing it to drive into a land mine before exploding. The vehicle slightly lands on top of Dom's car before rolling off. Roman yells as he drives over a land mine, causing it to explode which causes the back end of his vehicle to raise up. As they reach near the plantation, Roman drives over another land mine, causing the back end of his vehicle to catch fire as a tire falls off.

"Rome, you good?" Charlotte asks as she looks back, having heard the explosion and seen Roman's vehicle lift off of the ground.

"My ass is en fuego!" Roman answers him as he starts to panic once again.

Part of Roman's vehicle explodes, causing it to fly through the air before getting stuck between two boulders. Tej comes to a stop before he, Charlotte, and Ramsey get out of the vehicle, running towards Roman's.

"Tej! Wait! Land mine!" Ramsey yells as Charlotte grabs Tej since she sees the land mine below Roman's vehicle, which starts sliding towards the land mine.

Roman unbuckles his seatbelt before kicking his windshield open. The vehicle slides again before catching on a rock. Roman holds onto the steering wheel as he climbs out of the vehicle.

Roman yells as he drops to the ground, landing right in front of the land mine. The vehicle starts sliding again as Roman looks up at it before he runs and jumps out of the way.

The vehicle falls onto the land mine before exploding. Roman starts running towards Tej, Charlotte, and Ramsey, who are watching with slight smiles on their faces which quickly turn to shock as the vehicle lands back on the ground with a yell from Roman. Ramsey gasps in shock as she covers her mouth before tears come to her eyes.

Tej goes to comfort Charlotte before Roman walks around the front of the vehicle. Roman mumbles in shock as he motions between himself and the vehicle.

"How in the hell are you not dead?" Tej asks him confused as Roman walks past him to get into the vehicle.

"I'm fine," Roman barely mumbles out as he glances back at what was his vehicle while Charlotte pulls him into a quick hug before they all get into the vehicle.