Chapter 1

A General clad in red and silver scoffed at the festivities that were happening in his honor for successfully defending the kingdom and driving the enemies away. He was the youngest General in the kingdom's history, an accomplishment which only added to his fame. Hating the fame and adoration he received from the kingdom, he tried to avoid any and all celebrations. He was only at the current celebration because his companions dragged him there.

"General Hua Cheng, where do you think you're going?" He Xuan asked when he saw Hua Cheng get up from his spot at the table the four Generals all sat around.

Hua Cheng scoffed. "Away from this ridiculous celebration." He stated as he walked away from the table.

Qi Rong watched Hua Cheng walk through the crowd. "It's not a ridiculous celebration... It's celebrating victory and continued peace."

Jun Wu shook his head in disappointment. "The youth now have no respect for the people's hard work and generosity. It's disgusting."

He Xuan sighed. "It's not like that, General Jun Wu. General Hua Cheng... it's not my place to give details... but he has had a very hard life before now."

Jun Wu scoffed before he turned his attention to a person who had approached him. He Xuan downed the rest of his drink before getting up to go after his friend.

Hua Cheng got to his home after pushing his way through the crowd of civilians trying to stop him. Slamming the door he stalked around his empty home drawing all the curtains so no one could see inside. Despite being a General, he still chose to live in a shabby rundown house on the outskirts of the town. He only relaxed when he knew he was alone. Sighing, he took off his eye patch blinking so his red eye adjusted to the light.

"They only love me now because I am a General. Pathetic." He scoffed as he took off the silver jewelry before changing to simpler clothing. "It's absolutely pathetic."

He put his long black hair in a loose braid over one shoulder. All he wanted to do after the battle was relax and forget the horrified faces of those he fought against. Instead the kingdom immediately celebrated the victory. To him it felt wrong. So many people had died on both sides. People needed to grieve, not celebrate. Hua Cheng closed his eyes and sat on the floor hidden between a bookcase and the single cushioned chair. Hiding when he was overwhelmed was a habit he kept from when he was a child. He almost missed the simpler times. Hearing the knocking on his front door he pulled his knees closer to his chest trying to ignore the sound. His head snapped up when the door opened and booted footsteps walked inside.

"Hong Hong Er, I know you are here. Come out. It's just me, Qi Rong and Jun Wu remained at the Celebration." He Xuan said, shutting the door behind him with a thud.

Days later there was an event that all of the army, including the three youngest generals, were participating in. Hua Cheng did not want to participate. But by the orders of the King and Queen he had to, leading to Hua Cheng only complaining to He Xuan and Qi Rong. Jun Wu grew angry when he heard his complaints of not wanting to show off.

Hua Cheng walked out onto the arena's dirt floor swinging his scimitar idly as he waited for his 'opponents' to enter the ring. The crowd was getting restless the longer it took for the opponents to come out of the tent. Hua Cheng could feel the stares of the King and Queen on his back. Internally he sighed before putting up his best act.

"Who is the coward that refuses to come out and face me?!" Hua Cheng called towards the tent. The crowd cheered even though no one came out of the tent. He found it odd and glanced towards He Xuan to go check it out. When He Xuan ducked into the side entrance of the tent, Hua Cheng turned his attention to the tent again. "You hear the people's cheers I'm sure. This is a friendly match, you won't be killed." He called again, giving the knight another chance to come out.

The crowd went silent as clashes of metal rang out from within the tent. Hua Cheng narrowed his eye and took a step forward, tightening his hold on his scimitar. He Xuan was tossed out of the tent, badly injured, causing the crowd to gasp. Hua Cheng was about to hurry to the older General when an army from a neighboring kingdom filed out of the tent, quickly surrounding everyone within the arena's stands. A sword was placed at He Xuan's throat causing both Generals to freeze in their places. No one knew what was going on. Hua Cheng glanced around seeing Qi Rong backed into a corner protecting his young son, the King and Queen with swords at their necks, and no sign of Jun Wu.

"Drop your sword Crimson Rain." The soldier holding his sword to He Xuan's neck ordered. Hua Cheng turned to face the soldier fully glaring. "Now!" Another order came as more soldiers came up behind Hua Cheng. He heard a scream from where the two Royals sat. His blood ran cold when he looked. Both the King and Queen had been killed.

"No!" He Xuan yelled, struggling against the ropes that tied his hands. Hua Cheng growled and moved to free He Xuan, but was stopped when the sword was pressed to He Xuan's neck harder. Hua Cheng was jumped on as he hesitated. His scimitar was knocked from his hand as he was restrained.

Jun Wu calmly walked out of the tent. "Well done men."

Hua Cheng, He Xuan, and Qi Rong looked on in shock. None of them knew how to react. That only made Jun Wu amused. They had no idea the Grand General would betray the Kingdom.

"Jun Wu?! What the hell!" Hua Cheng growled fighting against the men holding him. "You betrayed us! How could you, the people trusted you with their lives!"

"And they could have lived longer if they had not put their love and trust into someone that did not care for them." Jun Wu said with a shrug walking up to Hua Cheng as the people were slaughtered around the four Generals.

"What?" He Xuan asked, sounding confused. Jun Wu completely ignored him as he knelt down in front of Hua Cheng.

"Get away from me you traitor!" Hua Cheng snapped.

"Now let's see what you are hiding, Hua Cheng." Jun Wu mused as he grabbed the black eyepatch, completely ignoring both Hua Cheng's and He Xuan's protests and yells. The flimsy fabric ties gave way with a few firm tugs. Hua Cheng stiffened in shock, his mind racing trying to figure out what to do. He did not want to be found out like this.

"Oh well isn't this a surprise, the favorite street urchin is alive and well. Hong Hong Er, I'm surprised that you actually made a name for yourself." Jun Wu mused, letting the eyepatch fall to the dirt. "Especially as the most feared and youngest general of the kingdom. Hua Cheng. Crimson Rain. Quite impressive and unfortunate."

Hua Cheng glared and spat in Jun Wu's face. "You know nothing about me." He snarled.

Jun Wu slapped Hua Cheng harshly leaving his cheek red and throbbing. "Now, now, there is no need for that."

"Leave him alone Jun Wu!" He Xuan yelled, struggling. With a slight wave of Jun Wu's hand He Xuan was pinned to the ground.

"What do you want?" Hua Cheng growled, not looking at the much older General.

"That's quite simple." Jun Wu mused, plunging his sword through Hua Cheng's chest.

"Hong Hong Er!" He Xuan yelled eyes wide in shock. Hua Cheng coughed, blood splattering all over Jun Wu's white and gold robes.

"Cursing you four is just as fun as watching you suffer." Jun Wu said, his smile contouring into something unrecognizable as the other three men were slain in the background.