Part 4: On The Road

Katie's POV:

Travis decided that as he was older, only by a few months, he should be the one driving. I didn't even argue with him because that meant that I could look out the window and admire the plant life we were passing. After a few minutes that felt like forever, Travis wordlessly handed me his phone that Leo created, monster proof and all. I looked at him: "What am I supposed to do with that?" "Pick a playlist, duh. It's too quiet and since you don't want to talk some music might be nice. I even unlocked it for you." I took the phone and started to scroll through the playlists he had downloaded until I found one I liked, which funnily enough was named 'Songs Katie-Kat Might Like'. Of course, I picked that one.

"So", I started; "you have a playlist with songs I might like?" He just shrugged his shoulders. "After Chiron told us about the supply run, I made it, thought you might appreciate it more than my other ones." I was taken aback, and a genuine smile found its way to my face. "Thanks, I really do appreciate it." I might have even hugged him if he wasn't driving. "And to be clear, I actually do like the songs. Should I change the name to 'Songs Katie Likes'?" "Do whatever you want, as long as it stays 'Katie-Kat'." I groaned good-naturedly at the nickname but did what he said anyway. Now the playlist was called: 'Songs Katie-Kat Likes <3'. I couldn't help but add that little heart, it felt right. (here is a link to the spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2R1FEaD5pNjZj1rGEWpnVv?si=75e46ee48fd849d8&pt=0808c9eb7b92e061efe37d5fd1a39bce )

"Why do you call me Katie-Kat anyway? Everyone else just calls me my name, you know?" "Exactly, I'm special that way.", he said with a cheeky grin. "And I also call you that because when we first met years ago you would always correct me, and it was funny to annoy you. Then it kind of stuck, and I like it." I felt a blush creep up on my cheeks and hid behind my hair, hoping he didn't notice. But of course, he did. "No need to blush Katie-Kat, but if you want, I can make you blush in entirely different ways." If I were drinking something, I would have spit it out in surprise. What?

Travis's POV:

Why did I say that? Since when did I openly suggest something like that to anyone, let alone Katie? The surprise on her face told me that she hadn't expected it either. "I'll just shut up now.", I told her, having no idea what else to say. I didn't know what I expected her answer to be, but I would not have thought she would start giggling. Katie Gardener started giggling. "Sorry", she said still giggling, "it's just that this whole situation is absurd. I mean we barely talk normally in camp, except for when I yell at you, and now you say something like that. But I'm glad we get to do this supply run together, maybe I'll learn even more about you that I didn't know." "Oh, I'm full of surprises Katie-Kat, just you wait." The wink that accompanied that statement only made her blush and giggle more.

For the next few minutes, we drove in silence until Katie started to yawn. "You tired, Katie-Kat?" "Just a bit, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. One of my younger siblings had a nightmare and I had to calm them down." I looked at her, her usually light brown hair now light pink at the tips in a messy bun which it had not been the last time I had looked over. "You can take a quick nap if you want, we won't get to the motel for another two hours or so. And I get it, Aiden might not wake up from nightmares, but he does insist on his midnight snack." She smiled at me and with a simple: "Thanks, I think a nap will be good." she cozied up in her seat and closed her eyes. Those gorgeous green eyes. Wait why am I thinking that sure I like Katie but as a friend, right?

As Katie slept to my side, I lowered the volume of the music. Occasionally I looked over at her, her face relaxed and as beautiful as ever with a loose strand of hair in front of it. Gently I tucked the strand behind her ear, more or less accidentally tracing my thumb over her cheek, and Katie's lips turned into a small smile. I could get used to this I thought as I continued driving, glancing over at Katie.