Rude Awakening

Thumping at the door causes Lee to stir from his sleep, followed by Hael. As the pair of them travel towards the sound, Lee opens the door and they are met with the face of Herald. Behind him rests Marne and Yuler, who remain stationed on the porch, but seem to be slightly disappointed. As Lee and Hael notice this, they look to Herald once more and await what is to come.

"It is with great displeasure that I must request that the Nostrum residing within this abode leave Crater's Crown at once. It is in the better interest of my people that I must make this request, as fear has begun to spread throughout the city."

"Wait, what?" Lee asks, baffled.

"I am most apologetic, dear Nostrum, but it has been discussed greatly since the attack that took place last night and the people have agreed that this is a must."

"We took care of that creature for your people. Why would they want us out now?" Marne wonders, no longer feeling the warm welcome they had once come to know.

"I'm sorry. Word from Maciofim has finally reached our walls, and with it, the tales of those who attempted to destroy The Bethel and all of its work."

"We prevented The Bethel's destruction. What amount of it we could, that is." Lee insists, now feeling the same kind of disbelief as Marne and Yuler. "What can we do to make amends?"

Herald pauses for a moment and looks over the Nostrum before him. Then, he sighs heavily and looks back to a small crowd that has begun to form around them as the curious people of Crater's Crown swarm in on their Tsar's words. Finally, he looks back to Lee.

"You can take me with you."

"What?" Lee cocks his head back as the suggestion is made, not understanding the purpose of such a thing.

"I have spent many years searching for my creator, yet have had no luck in locating him. If you take me with you, my chances would greatly increase, and so long as you protect me from what lurks out and about in this world, you will gain the trust of my people once more."

A murmur begins to take hold of the surrounding citizens, who seem to dislike the idea of such a thing more than they had the beast that attacked the night prior. Yet, their words do not persist as their Tsar raises a paw into the air to silence them.

"These are the terms that I offer you. In exchange for your protection and guidance towards what I hope to be my creator, I will restore your reputation within this city and on top of that, I will also provide you with full access to my articles."

"What use do we have in your books?" Lee questions, slightly irritated by the negotiation taking place.

"Well, that depends on what use you had in The Bethel's books before or during their destruction."

Lee falls silent and lets nothing but a heavy breath leave his nostrils.

"We had nothing to do with the destruction of those pieces," Hael states, "you must believe us."

"It is no longer up to me." Says Herald, who looks to the ground for a moment before returning to Hael's gaze. "It is less about whether or not you had anything to do with the destruction and more about whether or not you attempted to save them."

"We were quite occupied at the time." Interjects Marne, who has now gotten up from his chair and begun stretching out. "It's not every day you ride on the back of a beast for your own safety."

Hael lets out a snort before clearing her throat and raising her chin.

"We did all that we could I am afraid."