Chapter 1 - Weird

Being rapidly shot into the ground by an orange blur was not on your agenda when you woke up this morning. Neither was delivering newspaper, but that doesn't count.

"Dog!" Oh. That's what animal these set of sharp teeth currently snarling above your face belonged to. All you could do was freeze up and stare. The big, purple nose barely blocked the brown eyes glowering deeply into your wide ones. "Will you cut it out?!" Frantic movement could be seen in the far corners of your view, but you couldn't move. You could barely think. The only thing going through your head was oh shit.

His growl only gets nastier as the one shouting gets closer. The canine on top of you almost lunges and snaps at your nose when two orange paws are placed on his hunched shoulders. Pulling the dog back slightly, you take this as an opportunity and risk it all. "H-Hi puppy.."

Miraculously, this works more then the being trying to force his other half off of you; wait, what? Oh, that explains the interesting decor. One final tug has the dog removing his paws from the dirt mounds that formed from the blow on both sides of your head. His eyes never leave yours as you prop yourself up on your elbows. They turn from a harsh scowl to a bewildering gawk. A nasally voice follows, "Oh, uh, sorry."

Now somewhat sitting, you can really register the oddity in front of you (on top of, really). An orange cat and an orange dog joined at the hip, or butt to be more precise, with dark spots scattered about. You've seen some unusual looking creatures in this town, but this was different. They sit, or lay, across your legs from the tumble in a distraught heap. You tilt your head to the side and make the first move to shake off the intense stare you three were unintentionally holding. "I, uh," you grab the bag from behind you and reach inside to pull forward the rolled paper, "have this for you.. both."

The cat seemed to ogle dumbstruck as the dog quickly jumps in and starts to converse. It really concerned you how fast this being turned from threatening and bearing teeth to a normal, happy-go-lucky dog. "Hello Lady! My name is Dog! Welcome to our home! I love to chase paperboys." Dog snorts and grasps your hand, shaking it violently. "And papergirls! Sorry for jumping on ya' Lady!"

You brush the hair out of your face and go to pull yourself up fully, the cat-dog duo successfully moving to the side and off of you in the process. The knitted sweater you wore had dirt paw-prints and grass stains; your pants the same as the latter. Dusting off your outfit with a huff, you hand over the oh-so-delicate package. Dog is quick to snatch it with his mouth and wave it in the feline's face. "Hey'a Cat! Look what the pretty Lady got us!" You blush slightly.

The sudden movement breaks said cat out of his trance. He blinks a few times before hastily grabbing the paper from awaiting paws. "That would be for me." Directing his attention towards you now, he shoves his dog counterpart out of the way, "and you must be for me." His furry hand grasps your smooth one and he places a small kiss on the back of it as sly as a cat would. You can't help but feel a little funny. How charming.

"Hey! She's here to deliver the newspaper. She's the new paperboy-girl!" Dog shouts, nudging his others' hand out of the way and quickly replacing it with his own. "We're gonna be great friends, right paperboy-girl?"

Scratching your head and feeling a slight bump raise from the fall, you let an uncertain grin form. "I, um-"

"We don't get a lot of visitors, do we Cat? This is gonna be so much fun! Do you play fetch? Do you like bones and chasing garbage trucks? I have-"

"Okay, dog! That's enough. Don't unload all your baggage now. You don't even know her name, Miss.." Cat holds his arm across his chest and bows slightly, awaiting an introduction with doting eyes.