Two | Mya

Hospital voices are heard faintly around us and I tell myself to take another minute or two to decompress before going back up to my mom

"So what are you majoring in at University of South Florida?" Deacon asks.

I shoot him a surprised look. How does he know what school I go to?

Dad told him genius.

"Childhood Education." I tell him. "I love working with kids."

"Let's see if you still feel that way once you have your own." He chuckles.

I grin. "Lilah and Victoria giving you a hard time?" I ask, surprising myself by remembering their names.

"You can say that. I had no idea how hard it was going to be being a single dad."

My eyes softened. "You don't have help?"

"Annie's mom watches them while I'm at work and don't get me wrong, she's amazing with them but that still leaves me with the day in and day out stuff to handle on my own."

"Have you thought about hiring a nanny?" I wonder.

"I thought about it, but with work and honestly still processing Annie's death, it's not on my list of properties. Besides, I don't know how comfortable I am with a stranger watching my kids all day."

He turns his brown eyes on me, kind but piercing, but then his gaze drops down to my lips for a split second, and my stomach flutters.

He quickly looks away, eagerly taking a sip of his coffee.

Clearing my own throat, I lean over and pick up my own coffee, taking another gracious sip.

The sweet taste immediately hits my tongue and I moan.

I look towards the door figuring that it was time to head back to my mom. I glance at Deacon, pointing to the door. "I better get back to my mom."

I toss my half eaten Snicker bar in the trashcan near me before standing up.

"I'll go with you. Say goodbye to your mom one last time." Deacon says, standing up as well.

"Okay."

The two of us walk out the room and my eyes immediately go over to the waiting room where I see the team and this time I smile and wave at them, giving them the opening to come over.