of Lady Baskerville

Alone in Dartmoor, there was nothing to do but think about Klint.

***

The first time she meets him is at the ball her family is hosting to announce that she is now a woman grown and ready for marriage. Many suitors gather, although hardly any have been able to hold her attention. Then she sees him and the breath goes out of her. He's talking to someone else and he's laughing. A tall man, broad, with swept-back hair. His gaze shifts towards her and his mirth slides away from his stately features. Lady Baskerville has never seen such a handsome man before. And as their gazes entangle from across the room, a smile touches the edge of his mouth, illuminates his eyes. He speaks to the man beside him and the two begin to walk towards Lady Baskerville. She looks away, trying to hide the smile tugging at her painted lips as they approach.

"Ah, Lord van Zieks. What a pleasure that you were able to accept our invitation," her father says.

Lady Baskerville pivots to offer a deep curtsy as Lord van Zieks and his strikingly handsome son bow.

"It was our pleasure to accept. Your daughter has truly grown into a wonderful woman," Lord van Zieks says. "This is my son, Klint. He has just recently made prosecutor."

Lady Baskerville smiles and glances towards his tall son. Their eyes meet again.

"Would you do me the honour of a dance, my Lady?" Klint says.

"I would be glad to accept," she says, and she places her hand in his.

He draws her out to the dancefloor and begins leading her in a graceful waltz. She stares up at his face, captivated by his features, his eyes, his silken hair, the pleasant cast that composes his countenance. He is very tall and very graceful and his gaze is deep and admiring as he looks down at her.

"My father has told me a great deal about your family," she says.

"Has he? I confess, I am honoured."

It was true. She knew it was a match her father would approve of endlessly, considering the sources of the van Zieks' wealth: vineyards, pineries, and the British court. The van Zieks were known for being well-bred and for acting as a long line of noble-minded prosecutors. No scandal had ever touched the family, making a connection with them entirely ideal.

"I must ask if you have become a prosecutor out of expectation or personal motivation," she says as he gently spins her, their steps perfectly aligned.

"You wish to know if I have a mind of my own or merely chase after nepotism?" he says.

"More or less. I hope you do not find my enquiry too uncouth."

"It is a question my dancing partners rarely ask, I confess. However, I am happy to oblige the lady with an answer. The truth is...my father's impassioned speeches about justice have long convinced me it is not just my familial duty to carry on in this work, but the only way to ensure the common man is protected. To defend our nation from itself. It is a calling I long to answer."

"Such passionate resolve!"

"It is not in my nature to do anything by halves. When I commit, my decision is final."

Her heart flutters. She smiles. "So you wish to convince me you own a mind and heart all your own."

"There is more to life than wealth or name. But I do not seek to convince you, for I have no need to convince myself."