Chapter 2: Roxanne

Roxanne was the quintessential teenage dream. She was the hottest girl in my entrance exam coaching center. A curvaceous figure, long hair that started to curl towards the edges, far too well endowed for her age. She was there to prepare for her engineering entrance exams. I was there because of random life decisions. Half of the class wanted to date her. The other half comprised of girls and a probable gay dude.

I noticed her for the first time while walking back from the class with a friend. I heard girls chatting behind us and giggling. I turned back casually and Bam! There she was. Roxanne. My heart shattered into a million pieces.

For many months after that, I didn't speak to her even once. Blessed with a face full of acne and the scattered strands of pubertal facial hair, I could never gain the courage to even say Hi. Every day, I would just sit in the class and gaze.

And then Orkut came into my life. Oh you blessed thing! I wrote a scrap( both meanings apply) on her scrapbook and waited for a reply. It came. She replied back. I jumped in excitement.

Like expected for any pretty girl of her age, there were rumors about her: about the thousand proposals she got, about the hundred guys she dated, and about the million different things she supposedly did on bed. She would come to the class every day in motorbikes; a different rider almost every other day.

Days later I learned she was dating the very friend who I was walking with when I first saw her. Heartbreak: Roxanne.

But what Roxanne's heartbreak gifted me was something invaluable: my first original song that I wrote and composed thinking solely about her. And for that, I would always be glad to Roxanne.

Time moved on. I found Delilah. Orkut died. Facebook was born. I still kept on stalking her intermittently on Facebook. She went to med school. Her profile picture partners still kept on changing from one handsome ray-ban wearing dude to another handsome ray-

ban wearing dude with a bandana. Then one day, I quit Facebook. And Poof- like that, she was gone.