Chapter 1

Promise me eternity

"Kae. Kae!"

"Hm? What is it Luc?"

"Can I ask you something"

"Ok"

"Promise you'll stay with me forever?"

...

A carefree smile broke out on Kaeya's face

"Ok!"

"Pinky promise?"

Kaeya intertwined his pinky in Diluc's

"Pinky promise"

-

Diluc was in his tavern, serving drinks to his patrons. It was late in the night, and it was almost time for his patrol as the 'Darknight Hero', as Paimon and the travller called him. Soft tunes and clincking of wine glasses resounded through the bar. He could hear drunken people talking, obvious they had indulged too much alcohol during the night. Throughout the night, he had been searching for his sworn brother, but he never walked through the door, the confident smirk gracing his face. The pyro allogene was wiping down the tables, ushering drunk customers out of his tavern, ready for closing. As soon as Diluc finished wiping down the last table, the door slammed open, startling him. He glanced up, annoyed at the person arriving at such a late time, then paused, taking in the sight.

Jean stood in the doorway, shaky and out of breath.

"Diluc. Kaeya. It's Kaeya. He's been missing the entire day. He didn't show up at work, and he isn't in his house. Please, Diluc. Can you help us find him?"

Diluc's eyes widened in surprise. Kaeya...missing?

"Please Diluc. Can you please put aside your hate for Mondstadt and the Kni-"

Diluc cut her off.

"I'll do it. I'll find Sir Kaeya"

-

He was so tired. He had been on his feet the whole night, searching for any signs of Kaeya. All he came across were multiple hilichurl camps and slimes. The Knights of Favonius were inefficient like always, getting drunk in Mondstadt's taverns instead of scouting the areas that had many hilichurl camps, posing a danger to Mondstadt's people.

It was close to dawn, the sun lazily rising from the horizon, painting the sky in pinks, reds, and oranges. He ought to return home soon. He's probably made Adeline worry about his disappearance, but surely, she would understand. He was looking for his sworn brother that was missing.

He made his way towards Dawn Winery, dragging his feet behing him. He was just so tired. In the distance, he could see his mansion, the sun's weak rays hitting the mansion's massive form. All the tension left his body, relief flooding his system as he set his eyes upon his home. 

Diluc sluggishly strolled towards his home when he saw a figure leaning against a tree, unmoving. He caught a glimpse of the person's hair. Cerulean blue. Wanting to get a closer look on why his sworn brother had been sitting outside his manor, he jogged up to him. Diluc could finally get a closer look, his eyes widened in shock and crumpled to his knees. In front of him was Kaeya, eyes closed and head drooping low, and a sword, his sword, impaled through his heart. Kaeya's blood stained everything it touched, a dried river of red flowed down Kaeya's chest. 

Diluc knew he was gone. He must have died hours ago. Tears ran down Diluc's face as he reached for Kaeya's still body. It was unnaturally cold, all warmth drained from his body. Diluc hugged the body close as if he would disappear into dust if he let go. A white slip of paper dropped out of Kaeya's limp grip and onto his lap. He unfolded it with shaky fingers, careful to not let his tears stain the paper.

To my dearest Diluc,

I'm so sorry for everything I have done to you and your family.

I have failed at everything. Being Khaenr'ah's spy, Mondstadt's cavalry captain, being your lover. There's no other way in saying this, thatI am a failure.

I know that when you're reading this, I'll be dead. It's quite weird thinking about being dead. When I'm writing this, I'm alive, breathing. But when you will read this, I'll be dead, cold, lifeless.

I am so sorry for that night 4 years ago. I was selfish and inconsiderate of you, and I will understand if you don't forgive me. I miss being with you. I miss Master Crepus. I want to see him so badly, but I know that I'm going to hell.

I have forgiven you already many years ago, and I hope that one day, you'll be able to forgive me.

Let us hope that one day, we will be able to stay together, forever, just like we promised.

I'm truly sorry for not being able to keep my end of the promise.

I'll see you again one day, Diluc Ragnvindr.

-Kaeya Ragnvindr Alberich

He couldn't suppress his sobs any longer, letting his emotions flow free. Diluc dug his head into Kaeya's shoulder, holding his past lover in his arms the same way he held his father many years ago. 

"Kaeya... I promise. I promise I'll treat you better. The next time we meet."

-

Modern Day

2 boys, one with flaming red hair, and one with cerulean blue, were sitting next to each other in a park, sitting under a massive oak tree.

"Kae! Can I ask you something?"

"Yes. What is it Luc?"

"Promise you'll stay with me forever?"

"I promise."