Prologue

It had been like this for hundreds of years. Every year, on the twelfth of August they called out two names. Two from each island. I, of course am on the furtherest Island, island 9. We were the last to know which child was to be sacrificed this year. "Come on, it starts at 4!" My mother screeched . I quickly tore off my fishing gear and saw what mother had put out for me to wear. A plain blue dress. Yuck. I stepped into the dress and threw my hair into a messy ponytail. I got a nod of approval and was bundled out the door. Last year, my sister Jessikar was chosen. She never returned. We raced down the streets , our legs pumping and hearts beating out of our chests."And this years tributes are the following!" I held my breath silently hoping it wasn't anyone I knew. "Hunter Melrose" I froze, not daring to believe the name that came out of the lady from the mainland's mouth. I stumbled up the stairs onto the podium and stood there, shivering. "And the male tribute, Lachlan Power". As gasp rang out through the crowd. Lachlan, the blonde haired blue eyed boy. The one who escaped the the other islands to get supplies when we were starving. The island's hero. He came up and stood next to me. "Hey" I whispered to him. He turned to me in fright. "Hi" he replied, a tuft of wild blonde hair covering his eye. That was the one, I knew, that had been scraped when he dug under the barb wire fence. We all knew that. Slowly, we watched the people forward out of the building, still muttering about the circumstances. Lachlan let out a huge sigh and rubbed his temples. I saw tears prick in the corners of his eyes and hugged him. He froze for a second but hugged me back, my head buried in his neck. He slowly pulled away from me. It left me breathless, being so close to someone I wasn't supposed to be with. He wiped the tears from his eyes and we waited. A minute later, the lady came out and beckoned to us. We stumbled up from the ground and followed her to a giant hover boat, ones like my father used to build. As we chugged over the sea slowly floating past other islands following a set of hover boats much like our own. Slowly I dozed off to sleep. Minutes later, I was jolted awake again with a bump. I sniffed the air and felt my nostrils bombarded with a new smell. Our island was small. We had a farming area, 3 beaches and a tiny town. My Family had lived with the Amards, while the Powers had lived with the Sarells. We were ushered off the boat onto land. I stumbled over a weirdly shaped piece of wood and glanced up at the standing wood with some foreign green items sticking to the wood. "Those are fabled to be trees" Lachlan whispered. I nodded as if I knew what they were, but I was mystified by their beauty. We stopped in front of a huge building and gasped.....
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
Authors Note:
So this is pretty much a cross between the hunger games and Cosmic pvp factions. Trust me, we will get to the factions part soon!
This is a really short teaser by the way?