The Scratch-Off

Pics of Avery Scarlett below

I didn't realize what I had until it was gone

I didn't realize what I had until it was gone. Nobody does. My family was gone. My home was gone. My friends were gone. My whole life — whisked away in a blink of an eye.

After the car crash that took away my parents, I was sent to live with my cousin Seth. Seth was 26 and lived in Destin, Florida. My cousin wasn't very interesting. The only exciting thing we would ever do was spend all of our money on scratch-offs from the nearby gas station.

Until today.

"We'll take two of these also." Seth said, combing his spiky, gelled hair back.

It stuck right back up.

I rolled my puffy eyes as the lady at the register rang up our scratch-offs. My eyes were swollen from crying myself to sleep every night. I tried not to think about my parents in the middle of a gas station but tears rolled down my pale cheeks anyway. Seth didn't notice. Nor did he care.

We walked back out of the gas station and hopped into Seth's Chevrolet pickup. He handed me a scratch-off and a nickel, my cue to reveal the numbers. It took me a good minute to scratch off the whole sheet, when I suddenly screamed.

Seth pulled over into the nearest parking lot. "What is it?"

I couldn't speak. I just sat there, in the passenger seat, staring at the scratch-off, mouth wide open. I reread it several times, over and over again. I couldn't believe what I saw.

"Give me that," Seth yanked the sheet out of my paled hands. As he looked over the numbers, his eyes widened.

"FIVE MILLION DOLLARS?!"

Ok so this chapter is kinda short sorry! I hope you're  enjoying it so far...this is one of the first books I have written. Please feel free to comment also!
-SunniD