II

you knew that any logical person would have chosen surgery. but people who get hanahaki are always a very specific type of person.

people so attached that it kills them. people who just can't let go, even if their life depends on it.

you knew you wanted to be close to him for as long as you could.

you started trying more. you tried to talk to your classmates who hated you, tried to to talk to your teachers, and spent time with your parents.

most importantly, you spent as much time as you could with kazuha.

although it rapidly worsened your condition, you always wanted to spend time with him, simply because you knew that would be the only times you'd ever get to.

trying to make your disease discreet, you had to wear long sleeves to hide the flowers in, with clothes with big pockets. there was no hiding the constant coughing, people just thought you had a cold.

your parents informed the school about your situation, so you were allowed to go to the private toilets as freely as you wished. having to kneel by the toilet, violently coughing, feeling the flowers prick at lungs.

but you hated the constant taste of coughed up blood in your mouth, it was a reminder of sorts, that your time was coming to an end.

"[y/n].. is there a reason you keep wanting to be around me?"

"you're a good friend, that's why."

it hurt you to say those words; to know you would only ever be a friend to him. you almost started coughing again at the end, the unbearable burning in your throat was too much to handle.