Is College Worth It?

College comes with a lot of responsibilities and can be very overwhelming for most. At some point, students may feel like giving up because they do not think it is worth all the stress.  Some wonder if they will actually get anything valuable out of it. In my opinion, even though it may not seem like it, college is worth it.  There are many reasons why this next step in education is worth the investment including self-realization, discovering one’s passion, and a securing a promising career for the future.

­The first reason, self- realization, is the process of one discovering who they truly are as an individual.  In high school, students do not know who they are or what they want to do with their lives.Some feel compelled to be like the people that surround them.  Going to college lets a student become their own person instead of thinking that they have to be the head cheerleader or the quarterback of the football team to go somewhere in life.  Why would anyone want to be something they are not?  Finding one’s true self is the best thing that can be done in life. It will lead to many opportunities and help a person find their purpose.

            Another reason that college is worth the effort is because it helps students find their passion.  Most students during their first year of college do not yet have their mind set on what they want to do. This is my second semester of college and I still have not figured out what I want to do, but experimenting with school helps one to discover new things and possibly find a find career. Waiting to go to college until you have your mind set on something may be a better idea instead of wasting money, however college can still help you pursue your passion and help you move forward with it.

            After someone finds their passion and finishes college, their future looks very bright.  For students, having a college degree in a field that they love opens many doors.  Graduates may get better and more job opportunities, as well as better pay, just for having a degree.  Not having a college degree is not necessarily a bad thing, but graduates may succeed more, and in turn, be much happier with themselves by getting a job in their field as appose to working at McDonalds. 

            Even though college costs a lot of money and can be very stressful, I think it is absolutely worth it.  Times can get rough and some think about dropping out, but giving up isn’t the right thing to do. When I think about giving up, I just think about all of the positive outcomes and how much happier I can be with a college degree. College is very challenging and can be a struggle at some points, but it will be worth it in the end. As one can see, there are many positive reasons as to why college is worth it.