My very nature

07/10/2022

Today, the 21st day of my college was spent explaining a boy how girls can drive as good as boys.

Sam is one of the most handsome boys of our class. You know the type of people who don't make any effort to look beautiful yet you cannot move your eyes off them? Sam is that type. Elegance comes naturally to him.

I met him on the first day of my college. It takes me 30 mins to get from my dorm to class, my block being situated at one of the farthest corners of the campus. So of course, I was the last one to reach the class and of course there was no other seats left than the last one. He was taking the second-last seat.

Now let me tell you one thing about me. Even though I am outspoken and confident, I have trouble making the first conversation. I don't know why but approaching people, asking for help, or asking even their name takes a lot of effort for me. Once the first conversation is done, I can lead the way.

So that's when Preeti comes to action. She is what I would like to say, 'extrovert of the extroverts'. She takes it as her job to talk with every person she can lay her eyes on.

She was seated next to Sam, and it was she who turned around, asked me for my name, and made the introductions. Then, Preeti, being Preeti, made a game out of accurately pronouncing my name, including Sam, Anmol (the boy seated next to me), Dev, and Ved (the boys sitting opposite to us) in this little game of hers.

That is how we all became a team; from pulling legs to saving seats, from sharing food to exchanging notes, we now do everything together.

So, while we were leisurely wandering about campus today after class, a woman on a bike passed by us. Sam then revealed to me that he fears seeing women drivers on the road, that he typically drives at a safe distance from them, and that 90% of women who drive are incapable of doing so.

Hearing such nonsense come from such a gorgeous mouth was startling. And what was even more amazing was how strongly he said what he was saying. He had full faith in it.

He countered his claim by claiming that men in general cannot cook any better than women, just to make sure I didn't think he was being sexist toward women.

I now consider him to be sexist toward both men and women, okay?

When I tried to explain how such a generalized statement ignores the wide range of experiences men and women have, how it is disrespectful to the vast majority of women who drive flawlessly around the world and the guys who cook to their hearts' content, he said I was being too dramatic about a joke.

After that, we had a one-hour discussion in which I tried to defend my position and he tried to explain it. No one came to any other conclusions than the fact that he now agreed with what others had said about me, namely, that I was a difficult girl to deal with.

I'm a difficult girl, I guess. I always have been.

I won't accept your disrespect with a grin and a nod as I leave. I won't back down from standing by my beliefs, and I won't hesitate to let you know when you're in the wrong.

Yes, I am a woman, but I won't accept anything less than what a guy deserves in terms of respect or credit.

I'm a challenging woman to be around, and I'm quite proud of my very nature.