Chapter 6

Azalea held in her giggle, her spoon of sweet porridge hovering next to her mouth. Her mood had never been better. Last night felt like a fever dream, a distant reality that was not ready to sink in. Her face burned with heat, as she remembered the events following her and Sebastian's departure from the village.

Her mind still lingered on the feeling of the spark in her lips when he kissed her and how that spark traveled up her spine. How everywhere he touched, her nerves exploded like fireworks, sending a burst of euphoria shattering through her—overwhelming every sensation in her body. The unholy things he did to her under that oak tree—

The assassin cleared her throat shoving the thoughts from her head before placing the spoon into her mouth, trying not the glance over to Sebastian but failed to do so.

Sebastian was reading the scroll with a grim face. She knew instantly he wasn't reading good news. He rolled it back up, giving the scroll back to Azar who swiftly bowed and left the room.

"What's wrong?" she asked, placing her spoon down.

"The armies are amassing faster than I anticipated," he said gravely, staring at his own plate of food, pastries towered on it.

She thought back to his offer of the position of general. In fact, she had thought about it all night—aside from thoughts about him—and had come up with a decision.

"I will," she said, taking his hand. His face turned to her, puzzled. She chuckled and added, "I would love to be your general."

Sebastian's violet eyes gleamed as he gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "Are you sure?"

"I thought being a vampire meant that I would have to spend an eternity being alone," she said before smiling at him. A reassuring smile. "But now I know that's not going to be the case. Not anymore"

"Thank you," gratitude shone in his eyes and her heart fluttered all the more at it.

                                         ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌺*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Later that day, Azalea was sitting across from Sebastian in his study room as he very thoroughly explained the process and post-feeling of being a vampire. She was, however, too busy getting lost in those violet eyes and the way they flickered like tiny stars every time he got excited or irritated while explaining a point.

"Azalea?" he asked, shaking her out of her stupor.

"Yes?" she replied, shifting in her chair. This was getting embarrassing.

"Did you understand the process?" At her nod, he crossed his arms against his chest. "Reiterate it for me then."

She rolled her eyes, "we exchange our blood through a cut in our palms, wait for a few moments until the exchange is complete, then wait out the dizziness for half a minute."

A grin cracked his lips, "Good, so you are paying attention. I thought you were too lost in my eyes to focus."

Her face flushed, opening her mouth to protest but Sebastian was already moving on.

"It's a very painless process," he reassured for the tenth time.

"I always imagined turning into a vampire involved more blood-sucking, neck cracking, and coming back to life," she listed before she watched Sebastian's arched brow.

"As I said on the first night you arrived here, we are not savages or barbarians," he said, reaching for a beautifully carved dagger resting on his study desk, its silver hilt encasing a crimson ruby. He lifted the blade pommel up and added. "The blood of my enemies."