Chapter 1: Page 1

It was another day In the kingdom of Aisling... Moss found itself trapped within the superannuated brick walls, still damp from the morning dew. Despite the slight moisture, the walls appeared lifeless and devoid of any vitality. The castle was slowly being consumed by plants and vines, a clear sign of the lack of care and attention it had received. It was disappointing to see such a once grand structure fall into disrepair. The pavement was scorching under my feet, and the sun was glaring down on the castle with its usual intensity. I find It so odd how the villagers would deliberately worship the sun's unrelenting rays rather than the shadows that envelop the few areas that one, such as myself, would be beyond grateful to ponder upon. providing just enough protection from the withering heat.
Other Royal guards, like myself, even inquired about it to the princess. Why couldn't she just listen to the complaints from people who bust their asses everyday protecting the so-called castle? At Least fix the dusty, fallen apart canopy that would be a pleasure to stand under when patrolling the bygone area. Better yet, trade for a new one! I mean, sorry to be rude, princess, but I'm quite certain that your role awards you with considerable financial compensation.
But knowing how Penelope is, everytime someone were to ask this question, she either refused to talk about it or recited the same thing she says every time, being;

"Look, I understand where you're coming from. It's frustrating when things aren't up to par, especially when it's something that affects your daily work." Penelope frowned slightly, glaring down towards the guards who were drenched in sweat and tears.

"But, let's not forget that I have a lot on my plate too, darling. I agree that a new canopy would be nice, but there are far more important things that need fixing in this palace, so please try to be a little more understanding and patient, okay?"
She then looked up, patted the soldier's shoulder and traipse away back to her throne room.
• - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - •

Despite all of the complaining, this place was protected dearly. By whom you may ask? Well, Our tale begins with A girl named Opal.

Her hair was jet black, trailing down to her waist. Though, the majority of the time It was worn up due to her important role and not wanting to suffer in the sweltering heat of the Sun's rays. When the palace grounds happened to be foggy (which was quite literally Once in a blue moon) it would be the greatest thing on earth. A gift from heaven some might even say. Her skin was rosy and a bunch of small freckles would form all over her body, increasing more and more each day. Mostly due to the fact that she was forced to go out on these patrols with armor that reflects light right onto her skin, also despite applying horrendous amounts of sun cream every morning.

Nonetheless, Opal didn't hate having to go on patrol, she just disliked it very strongly. Treading on her evening patrol around the castle gates, pacing back and forth as per usual, she made sure to look out for any people or thing, as she was commanded to do.

"IT

IS

SO

HOT. "

Opal punched the palace's walls in frustration, leaving a dent in the old bricks. Immediately recoiling back from the pain.

Well shit, that hurt. Maybe this is an opportunity! An opportunity to get off this hell of a job. Penelope will let me get the rest of the day off... right?
Plus, I'm not the only guard on the job. I'm sure someone will cover for me.
I mean I am in deliberate pain now, how could they refuse?