Narcissus

🌼

It was the beginning of the year, and like always, Rachel had to bother me about Glee Club first thing in the morning. I waited by her locker, just wanting to get it over with. I had agreed to be her co-captain, but after receiving thousands of messages and calls over the summer - not to mention randomly showing up at my house unannounced - made the whole thing seem like it was more work than it was worth.

"Hey y/n." She waved at me with a smiling Finn trailing behind her. "I wanted to have our first official team captain meeting to try and get our strategies and solos in order."

"Shouldn't we talk about this with the rest of Glee Club?" I yawned tiredly.

Jacob ran towards us shoving a camera in Rachel's face. "Rachel, how do you respond to rumors that you're incredibly difficult to work with?"

"Well, as her boyfriend, I can answer that." Finn smiled, not finding the random interview odd.

Rachel blushed smiling, "We've been dating all summer."

"Rachel's what you'd call a controllist."

"I-I'm controlling." She corrected him and whispered, "'Controllist isn't a word."

"Y/n, how long do you think you can last being co-captain with your fellow Jewish comrade."

Before I could answer, Rachel pushed herself in front of me. "Performing is my life. Do I have opinions about it? Yes. Does my need to constantly express those opinions annoy my fellow Glee Clubbers?"

"Yes." Finn turned to look at Rachel and winced, "That was out loud, wasn't it?"

"Yeahh." I shrugged, "Right now, the only thing that's annoying me is Finchel rubbing their relationship all over my face."

"Ah yes." Jacob smiled at the cameraman. "How is Miss Fabray and her bastard child?"

Finn's eyes widened as Rachel pulled me away from another possible detention. I watched as Jacob made his way through the crowded hallway to find another person to annoy.

🌼

I wiped down Kurt's jacket as Tina wiped the slushie off his face. Of course, it had been Karofsky. He always seemed to be the only one obsessed with Glee Club, especially Kurt.

"I feel so useless." I sighed, "I wish I could beat him up so bad he'll leave everyone alone."

Kurt patted my arm comfortingly. "You would end up in jail. It's not your fault. There's nothing we can do about uncivilized boys like him, except endure and laugh when they clean our pools."

Tina nodded and smiled sadly, "You can't keep getting in fights for us y/n."

"Did you guys see Mr. Shue staring at the empty sign up sheet." I followed Kurt and Tina out into the hallway.

"No one signed up? How surprising." Kurt responded sarcastically.

Tina nervously laughed, "I hope Mr. Shue doesn't make us do anything embarrassing to find new members."

🌼

"These are comments from Jacob Ben-Israel's most recent Glee Club blog. 'Glee is a giant ball of suck.'" Mr. Shue read aloud.

"We get it, Mr. Shue. Everyone still hates us. So what? So we're plankton on the high school food chain? The only difference now is that none of us really care." Kurt shrugged nonchalantly.

"Kurt's right. We're a family." Mercedes looked around the room with a smile. "They can bring it all they want. None of it is going to break us."

"Okay, I'm really happy that you guys have all bonded. The problem is that all of this negative stuff is keeping other students from auditioning."