Come Back

All you see are flickers. Flickers of everything, your life, memories both unrecognizable and completely familiar.

You don't know which you they belong to.

Flickers that are gone before you can even understand what the flicker was.

When you do wake, you're not you.

You're the blank slate that they created. You look down and see how securely restrained you are, you don't try to fight the restraints. It's not worth wasting your energy. You'll wait for your perfect opportunity.

The room your in is completely blank, white, and clear of anything that could be of use to you.

You see the mirror, and you know it's not a mirror. You know they're probably watching you. You school your expression, careful to not give them anything.

"Let me in," Bucky demands, standing in front of the room they're currently holding you in.

Right now, you can't see them but they can see you. He hates it, hates how your arms and legs are tightly shackled. He hates that you're right in front of him, but still a million miles away. The blank look on your face, the way you're scanning the room for how to escape, maybe even how to complete your mission.

He knows what he heard, you remembered him. He saw the look of recognition. He can do this. He needs to do this.

"It's not safe yet. Just give us a little time, Bucky. She'll be okay again. From what we can tell, they were trying to make a new serum. To varying degrees of success it seems. She's stronger, but not in the way you and Steve were."

"They knew what they were doing," he agrees.

It's why they chose you, to draw out the Winter Soldier.

The world knew you two were together, even before the two of you knew it.

Whoever did this to you knew that Bucky wouldn't hurt you. That you were the one person that could take him out. He just doesn't know why. "I need to see her."

"Not yet," Pepper says, blocking the door. He could probably just forcefully move her out of the way, but he knows that she's right. "Grant should be here soon, you need to be there when he gets here. It's got be be overwhelming everything that's happened in the last few days."

He reluctantly nods, agreeing that his son needs him.

He didn't even want his son to be here for this, but Pepper thought it could help bring things back. And Bucky knows just how desperate Grant is to see you again. He knows it's probably not the call you would want him to make.

In fact, he knows it. He knows that you'd want the two of them to go back home. You wouldn't want to get Grant's hope's up, just in case.

You'd want them to leave, to go back to the safe and secure routine. But if he can bring you back, if he can give his son his mom back, then he'll take the risk that you'll be pissed at him later.

It doesn't take very long before Grant is there with him and they're standing in front of the room you're being held in. Grant is in Bucky's arms, his little fists clutching Bucky's shirt as Pepper presses a button on the glass letting it become translucent and letting you see your son for the first time in months.

Your head snaps up when you see the glass become clear. Then you see him, your son.

And it's all painfully rushing forward again.

"Um... Doll?"

You poke your head out of the very elaborate makeshift fort you and Grant constructed. "Yeah?"