The mind's eye

I watched as the huge gleaming disk rose. As it climbed higher, I started to curse. The damn thing should have exploded by now.

It was almost out of sight, when there was a titanic blast and light show that appeared to be several miles up. A sad smile crossed my features as I bowed my head.

I shook my head as I moved away. At least now everyone dead and otherwise were safe. A sudden thought hit me. At least I hoped the world was.

OK, let me start at the beginning. My name is Bill Black. I am the oldest of three children, or rather I was, our brother passed away two years ago. At the time, I was in a somewhat secret investigatory agency of the federal government.

Our brother's death hit me harder than anything ever had. Hell, even the two divorces were a cake walk compared to the gut punch that was.

So, here I was two and a half years later, still feeling like shit. I'm not sure you could say I was full of self-pity or massive depression. All I knew was that I was hardly able to do more beyond normal day to day functions.

That changed the day after the second anniversary of Wade's death. I had just talked to my sister expressing not much really. As my gaze passed over the back sliding door, I saw a glow that was vaguely familiar.

As always, my mind ran though thousands of past things I had seen or done. Again, let me explain, our agency was called Sifi. I know, but then again, the truth is usually harder to believe than make believe.

We were called the Scientific investigation of foreign invasions. Foreign, that is to say, as in Aliens, no, not the type from other countries. Usually what we found were the odd practical joke, terror operation, with most explained by natural phenomena.

This occurred ninety-five percent of the time. Of the final five percent, two out of every five were the real deal. I had been at this job for well over twenty-five years.

I was there when a energy-like, benevolent race came to study us, well at first. They found that much of the human race had abilities, abilities that made the earth a target. They were the ones to warn us, arm us with weapons that weren't physical. Those we developed later.

A group of twenty-five of us were, altered, changed? I am not quite sure how to explain, all I know is that something in our heads was changed. Esp, Telekinesis, Telepathy plus extremely powerful mental defenses.

The only problem was that most of those chosen were not exactly young. Over the next twenty-five years, a few died of age or disease. The rest, in the war that raged across our planet. We killed what had to be billions of the race that came to harvest the human race.

We had hoped that the Bellons would return as they promised, we just hadn't realized that they had over twelve years to return to their plant then back to us with their fleet. A hell of a lot can happen in that time.

As the years passed, we all tried to train others to aid in the fight. I was the only one to achieve and train another two like us. When I left, they were all that was left of the Sifi corps.

The Fletecons, as the Bellons called them, were a completely war-like, vicious and merciless spider-like race. They thought nothing of slaughtering an entire continent or planet. They had tried it several times with earth, 'til the point that the earth was more than a sore point for them.

The last major push two and a half years ago was by a gigantic fleet that tried to flank the planet. They lost over half their ships within the first hour. The problem was that this didn't stop them. They kept coming. We lost four in the initial battle.

That had left three of the original twenty-five. Both of the ones I trained were strong though nowhere at my strength.

Over the next two weeks, the other half tried countless times to get through our defenses. As I stated before, we killed billions before a ship managed to get through. The alarms in my home were going off, indicating a ship in the atmosphere. I cursed as I went out the door to a waiting helicopter.