Chapter 44

The next day waking up felt strange to Noah.

It was not like he didn't already knew it was his obligation to get ready and go for school, but there was an empty feeling in his chest:

Knowing that it was his first day of not seeing the girl she loved made him lose his motivation to get up.

Fighting the feeling to stay in bed all day, Noah moved his feet for them to touch the ground and sighed. His back stretched straight and so did the rest of his body, as he walked towards the wardrobe to get his clothes and dress up. As he grabbed and put on a casual shirt and a random pair of pants, he went down the stairs and found Chloe eating breakfast: just a bowl of cornflakes.

His sister's eyes headed to him.

"Why did you woke up later than usual?" - she asked, while eating her cereal.

"Oh, I just had a really long dream." - Noah answered. He then opened the fridge and looked for something to eat. - "Why are you interested?"

"Nothing." - she replied - "But mom and dad are gone."

"Why?" - he asked with a frown. - "Where are they?" - He then sat next to Chloe around the kitchen island.

"They went to the grocery store." - she replied. Chloe introduced a tablespoon of cereal inside her mouth.

Noah nodded, and ate his apple.

While he ate it, slower and motionless, Chloe couldn't stop looking at his face. She knew something was going on with her brother.

"What's going on?" - Chloe asked.

A surprised expression appeared on Noah's face. Why would she ask that so directly?

"What?" - he said, still eating his apple - "Nothing, why?"

Noah gave a big bite to his apple to pretend everything was okay. Eventually, that made Chloe more suspicious than she already was.

"Really?" - she asked, placing her gaze directly to him. - "Everything's... alright?"

Noah nodded - "Yup! Nothing is happening at the moment."

Chloe frowned. She knew he was lying. The boy gazed at his apple again.

"You are ABSOLUTELY sure?" - she then asked.

Noah, again, placed his gaze to Chloe. - "Yes, I am! Now leave me alone!"

"You're lying!" - she exclaimed. - "What's really going on?"

Noah narrowed his eyes and looked at her. He was sure she just wanted to mock him, or not...