Prologue

Prologue

All appeared well in the secret underground headquarters. No one noticed a worker in a white lab coat slip out of a custodial closet. She had long red hair and piercing blue eyes. She made her way swiftly to the door that she knew would lead her to the main room. A man in a similar lab coat nodded at her as she passed.

Looking back at her, the man did a double-take, for, protruding out of the woman's lab coat, was a long, fluffy, black tail. Something seemed to click in his head, and then he shouted, "Zorua!" He grabbed the woman's tail, and she immediately turned into the dark fox Pokemon.

Zorua immediately bolted out of the room. There were two people working in the main room, but no one noticed her as she zipped by. Her eyes were on the stairs that led up and out of this dungeon.

"It's Zorua!" the first man cried. "Don't let her escape!"

The other two immediately got up and ran for her. The three of them pulled out a Pokeball, and out popped a Darmanitan, Scolipede, and Excadrill. Zorua had already leapt to the stairs before the men had a chance to call out any attacks.

Zorua turned on the stairs and shot three Shadow Balls at the Pokemon, sending them flying back. Then she changed into a human again so she could open the door and emerge out into the night. Realizing she could run faster on all fours, she changed back into normal form and did just that.

She skidded to a halt when she saw the guard Pokemon - four Stoutland - standing in her way. She remained calm and took a deep breath. Her eyes started to glow blue as she raised her front paws in the air. As her body became surrounded by a crimson aura, she brought her paws down onto the ground, causing a crimson and pink forcefield of energy to appear around her body and expand outward, hitting the Stoutland and causing them to fall to the ground.

Zorua bolted forward again, headed out of the forest and towards the city. It was not long before her path was blocked again. This time, standing in her way was an Infernape and a man with long, wavy, purple hair, piercing blue eyes, and a bright blue lab coat. <Alistair!> Zorua growled, using telepathy to communicate with the man through her mind.

"Zorua," the man said in a cool tone, "did you really think you could escape without my noticing?"

Zorua dig her claws into the ground and arched her back, the fur on it rising. <Is it a battle you want?> She was prepared to fight him. She could take that giant monkey.

"No. I just want to talk. I thought I had been good to you, Zorua. What could you possible want with the outside world?"

Zorua did not buy his feigned innocence. She knew who he was. <I'm going to go find a strong trainer who will finish you!> She could not take him and all of his followers on her own after all.

"You know what? I'm going to let you do that." A wry smile crossed his face at her confused expression. "I'm going to let you go. If you will not work with me, than go find a trainer you like, and I will convince him to join me. Then I will have what I desire."