Considered a Date

The next afternoon in government, I began to doze off before I I felt a little piece of paper bounce off the top of my head. It luckily landed on top of my notebook and I slowly unrolled it, trying to be as discreet as possible.

"The library sucks. Can we go to the coffee shop across from the park?"

I was pretty pleased with them yesterday. I could go there again. I began to fake cough and play with my ponytail, trying to give him a thumbs up.

The bell finally rang, and I quickly gathered up my books. After a quick trip to my locker, I made my way to the front of the school. After waiting in the cold for ten minutes, I just walked to the coffee shop to wait. After 15 minutes in there, I began to think Henley was standing me up. So I gathered all my books before finishing my coffee.

Right as I walked out the door, I bumped into him.

"Were you standing me up," he asked me with a smirk.

"I could ask you the same thing."

"I had to stay back and talk with one of the teachers. 'Your grade has gone down to a B Mr. Bennery.' Oh no, I'll never get into college now."

He walked past me into the coffee shop and went to the table I had previously standing at.

"Aren't you gonna sit down?"

Only then did I realize I was standing in the doorway, letting more snow blow into my yet again frizzy hair. So I came in and sat back down.

"Do you want a cup of coffee?"

He pulled the hood of his big jacket off, revealing his full face. I hadn't really taken a second to actually see what he looked like. I have to admit, he's pretty good looking.

"Um sure. Three cups a day keeps the attitude away."

He chuckled at my stupid pun as I told him what I wanted and proceeded to hand him money.

"I'll pay it's fine."

He pushed the money back towards me and I sighed.

"But then this would be considered a date."

He turned and looked at me.

"Isn't it?"

He raised his eyebrows twice and went on to walk to the cash register. I rolled my eyes as I began to pull all of my books back out.

After an hour of sitting in silence and staring helplessly at our books, he broke it when I caught him staring at me.

"Why are you staring at me like that?"

"You keep messing with your nose."

I put my left hand down when I realized it was only centimeters away from my nose. He laughed at me and leaned back in his seat.

"It's just a habit. I do it all the time."

"I know. I've seen you do it before."

His words made me feel a little bit uncomfortable, so I went on to asking him why he had seen it before.

"Are you some creepy stalker that watches my every move?"

"Maybe. Or maybe I just pay attention to detail. Like the fact that you have a big winter coat that is perfect for the climate. But you are also wearing an extra jacket along with two extra shirts. Which can either mean that you get cold really easily or that the heat in your car doesn't work."

I was a bit shocked at his theories. They were both so accurate.

"It's a little bit of both."

"I knew it. So do you have a used car or did you blow it out by cranking it up to high?"

Not wanting to tell him about the car I don't have I changed the subject.

"You know you are asking me an awful lot of questions about myself. It's making me kind of suspicious."

"Hey. I thought that that's what you do on a date. Or at least something that's considered a date."

As he started at me with a smirk, I got a text from Tracie.

"At ultrasound. Need you NOW!!!"

"Um, I'm really sorry. I actually have to go. My aunt needs me at the hospital," I said to him as I began to pack my things.

"Oh what hospital? I could drop you off? You could drive in a car with a heating system."

I smiled while zipping up my backpack.

"Thanks but it's not exactly in your range and she needs me right now. I'm just gonna go."

"Wait. Do you want to do this again? Tomorrow maybe?"

"Busy tomorrow. Doing nothing. It's gonna be a Friday night. I don't want to study."

"What about a party? There's gonna be one in Long Beach only half an hour drive. You could come with me?"

"Parties aren't really my thing. Listen I'll just text you or talk to you tomorrow. I've really gotta go."

He finally replied with an 'okay' and I quickly walked out of the restaurant and to the subway. When I got on and sat down, my phone went off.

"If that was considered a date, I think you just stood me up."

If that was considered a date, I can't wait to see what he's got planned next.