11.2 | Sweet Distraction, Sunshine and Smiles

The next day dawned softly, sunlight filtering through the curtains and warming the room. My eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the gentle morning light. I felt a wave of contentment wash over me as I stretched and glanced beside me, but Zander was already gone.

I sat up, letting my mind drift to the previous night. The memories brought a smile to my lips, but my thoughts were interrupted when I noticed a note on the bedside table that I hadn’t seen before.

Unfolding it, I read Zander’s neat handwriting:

My Dearest Rena,

I had to leave early for a meeting, but I couldn’t go without letting you know how much last night meant to me. Every moment with you feels like a dream I never want to wake up from. I’ll see you soon, my love.

Always yours,
Zander

I couldn’t help but smile, my heart swelling with warmth. Tucking the note away safely, I decided to make the most of my day. Oliver’s sweet smile played in my mind, inspiring me to bake some cookies for the orphans. They deserved a treat, and I enjoyed seeing their happy faces.

After a relaxing soak, I dressed and headed to the kitchen. As I began mixing ingredients, the scent of vanilla and chocolate filled the air, mingling with my thoughts of the little ones. My peaceful morning was soon interrupted by an overwhelming scent of cheap perfume, so strong it made me cringe. I didn't need to be a werewolf to know who it was.

A she-wolf sauntered in, her minions trailing behind her like obedient puppies. Ignoring them, I focused on the task at hand, hoping they’d leave me alone.

“Aren’t you the girl who thinks she can take Zander away from me?” she sneered.

I didn’t reply, refusing to play her games.

“Hello, are you deaf or something?”

“Go away,” I mumbled, not in the mood for her antics.

“Oh, she talks,” she said sarcastically, her voice grating on my nerves. I was close to snapping but held my composure, determined not to let her ruin my day.

The sound of retreating heels finally reached my ears. Peeking behind my lashes, I watched her leave, her body language screaming frustration. I was surprised she hadn’t done more, but grateful nonetheless.

With her gone, I focused on my baking. The cookies turned out perfect, and I found myself making more than just cookies—enough treats for a banquet. Baking helped me push aside the negativity she had brought, and soon, the kitchen was filled with the comforting aroma of freshly baked goods.

*
The treats turned out perfect. I ended up making more than just cookies; it looked like a banquet fit for royalty. I might have gone a bit overboard, but it was required. After the whole fiasco with a certain she-wolf, I felt the urge to bake even more and remove the negativity she brought and left behind. That is how I found myself baking enough treats for the entire pack and then some.

As I finished arranging the treats, I caught Zander’s scent before I saw him. My knees went weak, craving his presence. His aura filled the kitchen, even before he stepped into view, a subtle shift in the atmosphere, the heightened awareness of him.

"Ah! So, this is where you've been," Zander said, his voice alone making my stomach do somersaults. It was a mix of authority and warmth that was uniquely him.

"Hmm," I replied, a sound rather than a word.

"These smell so good." I glanced at Zander just in time to prevent him from reaching for one of the treats. I swatted at his hand.