» V «

“Congratulations on your first employment, Jae!” Haneul cheered and raised a glass of juice.

Minjae laughed heartily and raised a glass as well, “Thanks, Han.”

“Don't mention it. I feel awful that I'm not able to celebrate this occasion with you in a better place,” Haneul spoke and looked around the diner.

“It's all good. It feels more special this way,” Minjae grinned to take a sip of the juice before speaking up again, “Have you been getting along with Jongseong?”

“Jong— you mean Jay? Yes, of course,” Haneul replied, her cheeks turning red by the thought of him.

A teasing smile crept up Minjae's lips, “It's safe to say that you guys are friends...with benefits, right?”

“What the hell, Minjae? No!” Haneul's eyes widened.

“Oh, please, then what relationship do you guys have? I've seen you kissing and making—”

“I was drunk, Jae.”

Minjae snickered, “It's not that hard to admit that you want each other. What's stopping you from asking him out?”

Haneul looked away and gulped, “I don't have a job.”

“So? Wouldn't it be easier for you if you're dating him?”

“No, the thing is...I don't want him to feel like I'm taking advantage of him, like his exes did,” Haneul stated.

Minjae pressed her lips together before sighing, “I suppose he has told you about them.”

Haneul remained silent while still looking away. Minjae looked down at the glass of juice on her hand, seeming to be deep in her thoughts.

“You know, I feel bad enough that my parents still have to take care of my rent,” Haneul started with a sigh, “Even if Jay is willing to pay them for me, it still won't sit right with me if it isn't my money.”

Minjae silently nodded along.

៚ · •

“I thought you'd come to the diner,” Haneul spoke once she took a step inside Jay's apartment.

Jay turned his head towards her upon hearing her arrival, “I was going to come.”

Haneul furrowed her brows, “But you didn't. Why?”

“I figured I wanted to be alone with you instead,” he spoke and sat down on a couch.

Haneul scoffed as he tapped on his lap with an innocent look on his face.

“You're unbelievable, you know that?” She spoke with a smile as she walked closer and sat down on his lap while facing him.

He merely smiled and moved the strands of hair on her shoulders away before muttering, “I know. But you're here wanting the same thing as I do. I wouldn't bother forcing you if you didn't want it.”

Haneul exhaled and wrapped her hands around his neck with a smirk, “That makes us even then.”

They both leaned closer at the same time to crash their lips onto each other. Although being apart for a few hours, their longings for each other was no different than couples who haven't seen each other for months.

Soon enough, Haneul was bothered with Minjae's words. Feeling the soft lips of Jay's on hers wasn't enough for her to ignore it.

She abruptly pulled back with a flushed face, “What are we doing?”

Jay blinked in confusion, “What do you mean?”

“Why are we doing this when we're not even a thing?”

Jay brought up a small smile and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “We're too scared to commit ourselves anymore but we still want to feel the intimate affection that couples share. I thought we both knew about that.”

Haneul stayed silent as she looked elsewhere. Jay tilted his head to look into her eyes.

“Is something wrong?” He asked, to which Haneul replied with a heavy sigh.

“This doesn't feel right,” she muttered and turned to face him.

“I see,” he trailed off while nodding and fiddling with her hair, “Then, should we start taking this seriously?”

“Excuse me?” Haneul responded in surprise.

Jay smiled, “If you want to make this official, just say it.”

Haneul started waving her hands in dismissal, “No, that's not— I mean, didn't you just say that we can't commit ourselves to anyone anymore? This could turn out really ugly.”

“You don't need to hide the real reason why you're hesitating. Minjae already told me everything.”

“That rascal,” Haneul spoke through gritted teeth.

Jay chuckled, “Don't get mad at her, she just wanted the best for you. I understand how you feel, and it feels refreshing to finally meet someone like you.”

Haneul blushed and looked down, “Then, if we really start dating, can you promise me that you won't use your money for me?”

Jay hesitated as he pressed his lips together. Haneul looked up at him, “You already know that I'm going to feel guilty if you do. Maybe you could just help me find a job instead?”

“Fine, but still, don't hesitate to ask me if you need anything, okay? If you needed help and I didn't know about it, that would make me feel guilty too.”

Haneul grinned and nodded. Jay brought up a smile before caressing her cheek, “Can we continue now that we're dating?”

“One last question,” Haneul uttered and he patiently nodded, signalling her to continue.

“Are you sure you're down for this?” She asked.

Jay grinned, “We've only known each other for a few months but you give me hope in love again so, of course I'm down.”

Haneul chuckled as she started blushing profusely. Jay smiled at her reaction and glanced at her lips.

“Can I kiss you now?” He asked softly.

Haneul nodded with a smile, “You don't have to ask.”

She cupped his face while he wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her closer to make their lips meet once again. The thought of Lee Heeseung had never crossed her mind ever since she started seeing him.

Maybe this is it. She thought to herself as she was in the arms of the man who could sympathise with her and make her feel loved, which Heeseung could have never done.

© 2023 -JAKISM