Sequel to The Delancey Brothers

I wake up on the rooftop with Crutchie remembering my new job. I sigh.

"What is it, Jack?"

"I start my new job today. My Newsie days are over." He frowns.

"Oh, right."

"I'm just worried you guys won't be able to manage without me."

"Come on, Jack. You're putting Race and Davey in charge. Yes, Race can be kind of stupid sometimes, but that's why we have Davey too. Davey will keep Race from doing stupid things."

"You're right, Crutchie. We better get going so we don't miss our meeting with the Newsies."

He and Crutchie made their way to Newsies Square to meet the Manhattan Newsies.

"Morning everyone."

"Morning."

"As you all know, I start my new job today which means I won't be able to lead you guys anymore."

A chorus of "awws" sounded back.

"yeah, I know. I'm sad, too. I'll really miss you guys. I have been training Race to take over and lead you guys since he was eight, and since he can be stupid sometimes, no offense Race, I've put Davey in charge too. So Race and Davey are your new leaders you are to do as they say. We also have Les, Davey's brother leaving who joined us in the strike. We have two new members joining, Morris and Oscar Delancey. I'll miss you all and I promise to visit often. I'm gonna let Race and Davey take over now."

He went to get Katherine and they went to have breakfast together before work.

"You ready for your new job?"

"Not really. I have to leave the Newsies, my family, not only them, but Crutchie too."

"Morris will take good care of Crutchie just like he did in The Refuge."

"You're right, sweetheart. Thanks."

They kissed.

They walked hand in hand to the building that Mr. Pulitzer worked in, where he and Katherine now worked. Their offices were across the hall from each other. They walked in, Mrs. Hannah was there to greet them.

"Good morning."

"Morning. Do we go straight to our offices or...."

"Yes, Katherine has a story to write for tomorrow's post and you will be illustrating it while she does that. Welcome to your new jobs! You can have your lunch break whenever you want for an hour. Your hours are from seven am to six pm unless you just want to work longer. This first week you will get paid daily, starting next week will be weekly. You may go. If you need anything, you know where to find me.

"Thank you."

They headed upstairs to their offices. Jack dropped Katherine off and hers and entered.

"Wow."

It truly was a writing studio. It had a big desk, a typewriter on it, a rolling chair for Katherine, two chairs on the other side for visitors, shelves behind it with countless sheets of paper, pens, and ink, there was a window that you got a good view of New York out of.

He walked across the hall to his own office which was basically an art studio. There was a canvas he could paint, plenty of and different kinds of paint with every color, every color and style of pen, pencil, colored pencil, marker, crayon, and paintbrush, with countless paper. He looked at the notes of the story he was illustrating for and got started. Davey and Race got where Jack had been in front of the crowd of Newsies.