Abomination

My grandma always called me a "peculiar kid". It was evident that she loved me the least in the family. When we used to visit them during summer breaks, she would avoid talking to me and pretended like I did not exist. My younger brother on the other hand was her favourite. She would cook for him, read him stories and would let him sleep with her on nights he would be scared.

I tried a lot to be liked by her. I remember I used to make her handmade cards and try to share funny school stories with her. She would politely nod & brush me aside. One night in the summer of 2008 when we were visiting her, I could not sleep. I could not get over how isolated I felt in her company. I don't know why but I craved for her validation the most. I heard loud noises coming from the living room. I got out of my bed and followed the noise.

All the grown ups were in the living room. Mom was really agitated and was standing across grandma who was seated on the sofa. Dad and grandpa were both holding a glass of drink and sitting on the sofa across from them.

"Mom, why are you so hard to get through? Can't you see Roohi tries so hard to get your love?"

"That child is an abomination. She shouldn't be here, she should never have been born."

"Really mom? Are you really going to go there? She has no fault in what happened."

"Yet, she has the blood of the devil."

"Shut up, just shut up. It was a mistake to come here. I thought with time you would change but that is clearly never going to happen. We are leaving, we will never come back."

"Ray, calm down. We can't leave in the middle of the night." Dad walked to where mom was standing and put an arm around her. Mom was shivering with anger and dad held her tighter. As a 5 year old, I had no idea what was happening. I was sad because I thought mom was crying because of me and I am the reason why grandma won't love me. I didn't realise when I started crying too and grandpa noticed me there standing.

"Hey kid, when did you get here? you shouldn't be up so late. Come I will put you to bed." grandpa said and all the eyes in the room turned in my direction.

"I see you like lingering in the dark, just like your....",

"MOM STOP" my mom stopped grandma from completing that sentence and pulled me up in her arms.

"Jay we are leaving now. NOW" I started crying harder, I was scared. Just then all the lights in the house went out and a loud thunder came clapping.

"I told you this girl is an abomination. It's just a matter of time before she destroys everything." grandma shouted.

"I am sure its just a power failure because of the storm, no need for drama here Reeta." Grandpa said to grandma. "Common, I have candles in the drawer, I will get them."

"We can't leave till the storm blows over, sorry dear. Come here Roohi, come to papa." Dad took me up in his arms and we went with grandpa to look for candles.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have not cried.