Chapter 2: will's social ineptitude

standing in the middle of his apartment, will paused in his pacing as he contemplated calling that- calling that fan back and telling them he couldn't do the one thing they're asking of him.

and when he goes over that one line in his head again, he groans, throwing his hands up into his hair as he pulls on the long ends, squeezing his eyes shut.

okay, he breathed out, trying to remember what he said yes for.

he's doing this for rosie, he's doing it so they can be happy together. doing this for rosie.

oh, but the thought of having to open his phone and call them is absolutely horrific and should be considered a war crime, even texting them sounded awful.

he takes a seat for a moment, deciding to quiet himself and just let himself feel the fear and empty that canister of doubt.

sitting in that mess of emotions even for ten seconds, he hated it. there was nothing to think about except the possible failure, the possible 'ha! you just got juked!' and just the possibility of losing his one chance to get close to rosie.

the last one alone did it for him.

in an attempt to calm himself down, he heads towards the kitchen, aiming to drink some water, some soda, anything really at this point and deal with his emotions later. and as he gulped down the first glass of something from the fridge, he chokes on the liquid suspiciously tasting like juice, as his phone begins to sing out the tune of a default setting ringtone.

he turns the corner and finds his phone ringing incessantly, slightly moving in its spot on the couch. his hand flies to his mouth, chewing on his already bitten nails, and when he can't find any solace in that, he places down the cup and ignores the way his fingers shake. walking to the couch, he picked the phone up, feeling the ringtone bleed into his skin.

and at the last ring, he slides on the decline button.

in the silence, he only processes that he declined when he put the phone against his ear and instead of being greeted with the voice he met yesterday, he was greeted by the much more intense than before ringtone.

"shit-" he curses, yanking the phone away before quickly swiping on the accept button, he made sure of that, before putting it back against his ear again. "hello?" his voice cracked as he rubbed at his throat, hoping that after this call he could drown himself and forget all the embarrassment.

"hey wilbur! i was calling because i forgot to mention that you don't have to worry about putting everything together. my friend who's letting me borrow his studio for the time being, he's gonna help me put this together.

"so, yeah uh, don't worry about that bit and all you gotta worry about is- oh shit we didn't get to talk about that, earlier, or was that yesterday?"

he couldn't help but focus on their voice, and let himself settle against his withering couch, and closed his eyes without force and leaned his head back to stare at the ceiling.

"so what part do you want to play, you have first dibs on the parts, you just gotta know the instrument or have the damn thing. i was gonna say maybe i can ask my friend from the orchestra our college has, if i could borrow his viola and figure it out but then i remembered i can just ask him to play the damn parts," you snorted, laughing to yourself about the mental jumps you did.

"so what part did you want?"

he doesn't know, honestly, he has his acoustic guitar that's collecting dust in the corner, his keyboard is sometimes turned on just to make sure it works and maybe a meme from the internet that caught his eye.