Talk

His thoughts lingered as he absently watched his ceiling and wrapped around in his head. He shivered as the breeze filled into the room from the open window. He reached his hand and pulled the cover from the other end of the couch over his head. Just when he was about to fall asleep again, he got a notification.

Rue

"Are you still awake?"

Cole

"Yeah, I'm still here."

Cole watched his screen as the small message bubble lingered.

Rue

"During the time I was gone, the only things that I felt were guilt and deep remorse. No matter how many times I tried to come up with a way to talk with you and Lacey again, I couldn't bring myself to reach out. It always seemed so sudden... There was no way for me to possibly come back without causing chaos, and I'm sorry for that."

Cole

"Well, at least I wasn't the only one suffering..."

Cole waited a while more before he finally began typing again.

"I do hope you know the amount of pain you caused me to go through. All those sleepless nights I went through trying to forget about you so that the pain wouldn't be so unbearable... Those dreadful nights have gone to waste now because just hearing your voice has brought back those memories of what we once had."

Rue

"Cole, I'm sorry. I know I've caused you so much pain, and I understand if you don't want to talk to me anymore... But can we try and heal our friendship? I promise I won't leave this time. My grades have gotten better and everything is alright now. The only thing that's missing in my life is you."

Cole, startled by this, stared at his screen, eyeing his keypad as he pondered what he should respond with. He thought she forgot him. Did she really miss him as much as he missed her? Was that even possible with everything she put him through?

Cole

"I am willing to give you one last chance... But it may take some time to get back to how we were before this."

Rue

"Okay, that's completely understandable. Thank you, and I really do miss you."

Cole shut off his phone and let out a deep sigh. He closed his eyes and tears escaped them. He grabbed the throw pillow and hugged it tightly, letting it soak. His remaining thoughts finally vanished as he fell into a deep slumber.

Cole woke up to a bright sunny sky shining in through the window. He sat up and rubbed the sleep away from his eyes. He stretched his arms above his head and stepped onto the warm carpet floor. His head pounded and every part of him ached.

He stumbled his way into the bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet, taking the last of his advil. He swallowed the pill, not bothering to grab a glass of water, as all he wanted at this moment was to take a shower and submerge himself in the cold.

Cole put on a playlist compiled of several songs that made him feel happy. He turned on the shower and felt himself flinch as the cold water pressed against his skin. He studied the smooth walls and the shelves filled with various products. He watched as the water dripped down the shower curtain and into the tub.

Once Cole was done showering, he grabbed his towel and ruffled his hair until the water no longer dripped down his face. Cole watched himself in the mirror as if he was waiting for his reflection to move. "God, I'm so pathetic," he spoke.

He desperately wished he had someone to talk to. He only spoke to Lacey, and even Lacey didn't speak with him as much as they used to. He craved for things to go back to how they were before. He constantly wished for Rue to come back, and now that she had, he wasn't sure what to do anymore.

Hi, Thank you for reading chapter 2!

This chapter was written by yourarkai and _shell_bee_